Stumped on EE subject after already deciding on one.

r-squared

Copy/Pasted from r/ibo

I decided to do an EE in Biology because science, why not? I want to be an engineer and get into a good college (Stanford/Berkeley) so I figured that a science essay would be beneficial towards me.

However, my film teacher told me that an EE in film would show that you're more well rounded in multiple subjects and give you a better chance of getting into a college like Stanford. Currently I am in Film III and will take Film IV HL my senior year.

I am now stuck between an EE in Biology and Film. Would any of these essays increase my chance of getting into a top-rated college? If I did an EE in Bio, then that would include a lengthy lab and analysis and for film not sure yet but maybe film technology. 

Edit: If colleges don't look at the EE, then can I mention somewhere that I did this essay to build a better person or something along those lines?

I'm pretty sure the subject you do your EE in does not affect your chances of getting into uni/college, so just do what you are more passionate in. I'd say if you're interested in doing a bio EE, then go for it! It could take a lot of work and I know with bio, you have biological errors for the labs, but as long as you want to do it, it's totally worth the time and effort. Don't do an EE in a subject you are not interested in. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

You should write your EE in whichever subject you'd like. It really doesn't matter. If you like science, pick a science topic. If you'd rather do film, pick a film topic. I am at a decent engineering school, wrote my EE in history, and I'm pretty sure my university doesn't even know what an extended essay is.

• Like 1