History v English - dilemma!

Siapi

Hello!

I'm lost with my EE at the moment. I plan on writing it this summer because I don't want to worry about it in my final year. But I have nooooo idea what to do, I can't even pick a subject.

I keep going back and forth between History and English

For English:

I was thinking about writing about The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. it's a really amazing book that I read recently and it also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction so I know it's got 'literary merit'.

I was thinking of doing a topic along the lines of, the extent to which art foreshadows key developments in the story and characters...something along those lines. Maybe specifying it as one or two particular themes, or maybe just two characters, I'll streamline it as I move forward.

For History:

I am a total film nut and I love reading about film history in general.

So I wanted to write something about The Jazz Singer, the world's first movie with sound or 'talkie' as they were known initially. So, maybe, something about what was the effect of The Jazz Singer on American cinema and theatre?

People always talk about how this film ended the silent film era, but it also had a profound impact on American theatre. There's a popular quote from the manager of the travelling troupe of The Jazz Singer saying soemthing along the lines of, he couldn't justify asking people to pay $3 for a stage rendition of The Jazz Singer when the cinema was playing it across the road for 50¢.

So maybe explore the impact it had on both those mediums.

I've looked into it, and it is a fascinating story with a lot of historical literature on the topic as well. I also feel like it's an unusual topic, I don't know?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Sia

Your English essay would be easier to do imho. However, your idea for History essay is intriguing, I don't think I've ever heard of someone doing soemthing like that. I do think it will be tricky though, especially because you will always have to be careful to maintain a historical analysis of the event (release of the movie) and its effects on the silent film/live theatre regime and not delve into aspects of quality and general effects on the medium of film as such. It's a fine line, but I think it's one worth treading.

• Like 1