Hi, 

I am in IB1 this year, and am stuck in between dropping Geography to SL or not.

Before I start, does anyone have an effective way of studying Geography? I've not done Geo before and so I am stuck without knowing what to memorise & study. My friends told me to memorise the case studies, but what about case studies? Is it like the location and statistics?

I am currently doing 4 HLs (Chemistry, Physics, Math & Geography), and Geo is my back-up subject as from what I know, Math-Chem-Physics HL is a suicidal course.

However, I've found that the other 3 HLs are much more manageable than Geography. I'm also predicted a 7 at the sciences and Math but a 6 in Geo. I'm also less interested in geo than the other 3 HLs.. 

Will dropping geo to SL give me a better chance to get a 7? Or should I stick with 4 HLs (so that I can drop one of the sciences/math), because I simply do not know the right technique of studying geo?

I appreciate it very much if anyone is willing to share tips on studying geography  ;)

Thank you.

Hi, 

I am in IB1 this year, and am stuck in between dropping Geography to SL or not.

Before I start, does anyone have an effective way of studying Geography? I've not done Geo before and so I am stuck without knowing what to memorise & study. My friends told me to memorise the case studies, but what about case studies? Is it like the location and statistics?

I am currently doing 4 HLs (Chemistry, Physics, Math & Geography), and Geo is my back-up subject as from what I know, Math-Chem-Physics HL is a suicidal course.

However, I've found that the other 3 HLs are much more manageable than Geography. I'm also predicted a 7 at the sciences and Math but a 6 in Geo. I'm also less interested in geo than the other 3 HLs.. 

Will dropping geo to SL give me a better chance to get a 7? Or should I stick with 4 HLs (so that I can drop one of the sciences/math), because I simply do not know the right technique of studying geo?

I appreciate it very much if anyone is willing to share tips on studying geography  ;)

Thank you.

Well if you're predicted a 6 in HL Geography it should be fairly easy to get a 7 in SL Geography.. not saying it's a piece of cake but more manageable than HL because there is no Paper 3 and 1 less Option.

You could study from the following site: http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/ Really helpful!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I see. Thank you very much! :)

Also, do you have any idea on what to study about case studies?

No prob :) Just know the key facts. For example, if the topic you're on is about the environment - know the key facts on that case study (where, when, causes, consequences, and how did it get solved, etc.)

I think you should stick with HL if you do worry about any other subject(physics or chemistry). Geo is almost the same at SL and HL, and it is an easy 7 if you are good at writing your BS in a respectable looking way ;D

Case studies are the key, don't use the ones in your books, find something else, so on the exam if you forget the data you can just make it up, nobody will know!

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

I would agree that Geography should be a pretty easy subject to improve in - know case studies and statistics for each syllabus point (or pretend plausibly that you do) and you should be fine. I honestly think that aside from amount of content that you learn, HL is not much harder than SL at all. Also, the stuff you do in HL (globalisation) helps a lot with understanding SL, and you can repeat case studies. So I think you can definitely lift it to a 7 with some work!

As to whether or not to drop it, I would probably suggest that you keep it for now, until you are really sure you can handle your HLs/your school forces you to drop!