Racism today in modern world

I believe the reason behind it is also lack of education. Without knowledge, people act thinking what they're doing is morally correct however if they had a proper education, their actions would (hopefully) be reflected upon and there could be less racism

In a perfect world...

• Like 1

Speaking as a US citizen, racism is part of US history. To some extent the US has not lost that. Racism is a learned behavior, children to not automatically fear someone who is different than them. A few years ago I watched a video on children and racism. Basically the children tended to not want to be friends with a child of another not race because they did not think that their parents would approve. 

Education may be part of the solution. 

If anyone watches the world news, will notice that there are demonstrations in Germany which attract thousands of people, who claim to be against "Islamisation" of Germany and asylum seekers. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegida - for anyone interested.

This is a good example of how a lack of education causes racism and hate of foreign people. During the DDR times, people received poor education and therefore are close-minded and racism is promoted. This just proves the importance of good education to avoid racism in our society. 

A friend of mine was looking at polls like this: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/americas-racism-problem-far-complicated-think/

and he looked at the polls of mike brown opinion and said he thinks most white americans are racist  :(

I feel like everyone is slightly racist. We all have judgments made based on how we view the world around us.

Part of the issue in America is the outright denial of racism as an issue. There is a notion that we should be "blind to race." However, the main issue with this is we are forgetting history. Hence, we are doomed to repeat it. 

• Like 2

I am from the middle east and I live in Europe!. I cannot believe how many people do not know anything about the third world, most of the people specially teachers think that we do not have any schools, we do not know any thing!.

The most annoying thing, that some teacher keep saying that they get afraid of blacks people, or any one from the middle east, or any women with Hijab.

In my opinion the place where we live and the people we are surrounded widely affects our views of the world and also people in it. For example i will use myself as an example I have live most of my life internationally all over the world (10 years now). And when returning back home and talking with my old friends I can see this difference in our views of people and cultures. Im not saying everyone that has not left their country and traveled is going to be racist, it just the way that you have been brought up has a big effect on your views but also how well educated you are but thats another topic for discussion. I had the luck and was brought up in a International environment where I was surrounded with people from all kinds of places and you learn to respect and love, at least in my case. In the end "Under everyones skin runs red blood." a quote my grandfather used to describe that we are all people and in the end everyone is the same. We are all humans and we should not treat others differently just because they are not the same as us. I think we should all respect and honor each other.

Well thats just my opinion.

^_^  

In sweden 13 percent voted for a racist party, some of them my friends. When asked why they said that

"If we keep on taking all these fugitives from Syria, Palestina and Somalia into our country , our country is soon going to be the same as theirs, women will be treated bad and they will force everyone to become muslims and we'll have plenty of terrorists here as well"

this is absolutely absurd. Lack of education. some of them said that that they don't want more people because our economy in Sweden isn't good enough. this is also not true.

Just as you have said above, education is the answer in most cases, but not always. I'd say that growing up with people from different countries is the answer. And while growing up, having people around you telling you how wrong racism is.

Edited by 2cool4IB
  • Like 4

I think the main problem with racism is the fact that people are skeptical towards accepting people that are not identical to them. The problem is not racism as such, its the fact that people dimminish one another, instead of helping them. Same applies with the way people treat the homeless, are they not as human as everyone else? Why should they be treated different due to their financial status, or their lack of opportunities? What if they made a mistake or two which messed their life up? Don't we all make mistakes? This is just some 'food for thought. Yet again, its just my opinion. 

Racism is indeed still a huge problem today, I believe. Sometimes, whenever I walk out (I'm a mix), I can often just see racism in people's eyes (something about their hatred, that I can sense),and it bothers me, that I can do nothing about it. Also outgrowing campaigns, like Pegida, are a great example that racism is pretty much still alive today. I agree, education is one way towards curing racism, but we must not forget that racism never occurred at one point, it was always there: present, and it has buried and rooted its mark so deep, that it almost impossible to remove it. 

My question, and fear, is that should we just accept racism?

Is racism only a matter of opinion? 

Despite being a mix and a Muslim, I am still hoping for a better world, where racism is past taboo - or respect and acceptance of each other is much more common than today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Racism is one of those things that is inbuilt into us from birth. The way we are raised, the things we are exposed to dictate the development of our schemas - they way we store information about the world. From a psychology point of view, it is very hard to change mental structures and stereotypes that we already have stored about certain groups of people, which is why racism is so hard to eradicate. But not impossible. This is why education from birth is so essential. If children are raised to not have judgements towards groups of people (education from the parents, teachers) then eventually our world will be a world without racism. It is difficult to change people's mindsets once they have already formed set judgements about other people. 

Racism is one of those things that is inbuilt into us from birth. The way we are raised, the things we are exposed to dictate the development of our schemas - they way we store information about the world. From a psychology point of view, it is very hard to change mental structures and stereotypes that we already have stored about certain groups of people, which is why racism is so hard to eradicate. But not impossible. This is why education from birth is so essential. If children are raised to not have judgements towards groups of people (education from the parents, teachers) then eventually our world will be a world without racism. It is difficult to change people's mindsets once they have already formed set judgements about other people. 

Well, i don't agree. Children themselves aren't racist. I read this study (can't remember where) in which young kids were exposed to different races. the kids managed very well.

Racism is, in my opinion, a creation of society. Factually, society tends to place emphasis on fairness. Hence (no offense intended here), large portions of the Western World are given a lot of importance in the Eastern World, and Asian people in particular. A recent study in Japan, Korea and Singapore showed that women were having surgery to look more "Western" to the extent of having calves cut, and skin bleached. Hence, you can see that racism is in fact a socially created concept. Human beings are born with the aim to love everyone, but society changes us. So I don't agree with your statement that Racism is inbuilt. Though I do agree education is needed.

In addition, I want to point out that even other so called "discriminated" races are racist. For example, I personally know people who say this "You shouldn't go to America or Britain or anywhere because they will hate you for being Asian. You should stay in Asia as you will become a second rate citizen in the West." Now, this is racism again. So really, both sides need to accept this. 

Just my two cents.

Well, i don't agree. Children themselves aren't racist. I read this study (can't remember where) in which young kids were exposed to different races. the kids managed very well.

Racism is, in my opinion, a creation of society. Factually, society tends to place emphasis on fairness. Hence (no offense intended here), large portions of the Western World are given a lot of importance in the Eastern World, and Asian people in particular. A recent study in Japan, Korea and Singapore showed that women were having surgery to look more "Western" to the extent of having calves cut, and skin bleached. Hence, you can see that racism is in fact a socially created concept. Human beings are born with the aim to love everyone, but society changes us. So I don't agree with your statement that Racism is inbuilt. Though I do agree education is needed.

In addition, I want to point out that even other so called "discriminated" races are racist. For example, I personally know people who say this "You shouldn't go to America or Britain or anywhere because they will hate you for being Asian. You should stay in Asia as you will become a second rate citizen in the West." Now, this is racism again. So really, both sides need to accept this. 

Just my two cents.

Oh no I totally agree with you. By being 'inbuilt from birth' I meant that from birth we are raised to be racist. It's not an innate thing, it's something we are taught to be. So yes definitely societal forces are hugely influential on the development of racism. I definitely agree, children aren't born with judgements, but as they grow older these judgements are taught to them (parents, teachers, society etc.)

(I didn't mean to sound like I meant racism was genetic/force of nature).

• Like 1