IB Art: In Need of Ideas

evangelouise

Hi guys! I'm taking up IB Visual Art as part of my SL and we were asked to submit an artwork exploring the theme of poverty. Mine was on people's ignorance on the rampant case of poverty in my motherland. What I'm finding really hard is to show through my artwork this very side of the society. Do you have any idea or an art inspiration that could help me? My mind's thirsty for some creative juices T.T/

Thank you!

Uh, so I'm not great when trying to come up with ideas for others- but if you were trying to showcase poverty and societies attitude to this maybe you could use an usual type of media?

Say, if you find an article about this attitude that your trying to show; incorporate the actual text or phrases of this in some type of typographic style? Otherwise, if you wanted to make it more symbolic than perhaps you can reference some artists that make statements with graffiti in disadvantaged areas. Some of those artworks are really well composed and usually have a double layer of meaning.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, Good luck with your artwork!!  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking that idea of a collage / typography / mixed media ^

Otherwise maybe a sculpture? You could make a " two-sided mountain" where one side is built up of trash and a poor foundation to signify the poverty stricken population and then the other side is made of  luxurious, wealthy, materialistic things, portraying the affluent. 

I hope that makes sense, it looks a lot better in my mind haha, a classmate did a wonderful sculpture incorporating trash and I thought it was great. 

Another idea would be a photography project - real life. Go around town taking pictures of the contradicting scenery. Be careful with this though, as it cannot be too journalistic. 

Good luck!

I happen to know that the artist Andres Serrano bases hist artwork and photography on the homeless of NY so maybe google him for inspiration or even ideas. If you choose to do photography, make sure your final picture TELLS A STORY and try to impact visually the observer.

If you don't want to do photography please check out Heather Stoltz's Temporary Shelter Project. She takes large panels and tells the story of someone poor in a beautiful way. This is great in the sense that you can easily adapt it to your own community and make it very personal, or just research about it for your critical investigation in your art journal.

Check out this TED talk with Willie Baronet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=73&v=J35V-1-d_zc

Check out this page with lots of artists and their projects:

http://moreart.org/art-about-poverty-and-homelessness/