TOK Presentation RLS

DuffsterCole

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to use an episode of a TV show as my real life situation for my TOK presentation? 

I was thinking of using an episode of Grey's Anatomy, and I was thinking that my KQ would be something along the lines of "To what extent does emotion play a part in making decisions in medicine?"

Links to shared and personal knowledge could be made (medical journals and books v. doctor-patient relationship), as well as how other WOKs (e.g reason, intuition) play a part, and the AOKs would probably be natural sciences and ethics.

Thank you! :)

Guest Sonia

I wouldn't use it as the real life issue, cause it's not really 'real'. Couldn't you find an actual example? And then you could use Grey's Anatomy as a supporting point. Also, are you mentioning that doctors should not treat family members due to the emotional attachment and subjectivity? This is a real thing in medical ethics so you should definitely use it!

As far as my teachers have told, you're okay with using a TV episode as your RLS, but you can't generalise it to 'medicine' then, because it's a fictional TV show that has nothing to do with actual medicine––only the location and buzzwords. So definitely mention that you're talking about medicine as depicted on Grey's Anatomy.