IB school choice problem....

zeevee
Go to solution Solved by ibprincess,

Hey everyone.

So I'm starting IBDP next term. I'm very conflicted about where to study.

In my city the prestigious IB schools are crazy expensive. They can cost about $20000-$35000 a year.

There's this new school that's just starting IB next term. If I go there, I'll be in their very first batch.

They're really really new (I think they've only been around for 4-5 years) and right now their eldest class is grade 9. They don't have gr 10.

They're also pricey; about $13000 a year. Their compound is 2 hectares and the teachers, I've heard, are very qualified (mostly Aussies and Americans).

I have good impressions about the school. Everyone is very professional and kind. But I really don't know if I'd do well there, considering they have no experience in IB and the teachers have only been trained to teach IB for 3-4 months(There's 3 more months to go before the term starts).

They're giving out 30%,60% and 100% scholarships. Only 9 people applied and 5 got called back for a personal interview. I personally think I did good. The other 4 students are my friends. Some of them said they didn't do so well. They have 10 slots for the scholarship, btw.

I personally think I have a good chance of getting 60%. My parents don't agree on spending $40000 only for high school. Which is why this school might be my only chance of doing IB, if I do get the scholarship.

What do you think?? How important is it that I have to have the best teachers to succeed in IB? I'm also worried that we'll only have like less than 10 people enrolling.. Also idk what CAS I can do here. I've heard people raising $1000 funds in their schools, and idk how I can do that when all the students are still very young. I probably can be the head of the school newsletter though, considering they don't have it yet.....

• Solution

if you feel good about the school, and you think you could get a scholarship, I think you should go for it.

In some ways, teachers are important in teaching ib but its possible to succeed in ib without the best teachers in the world. there are text books written for ib and there are resources online that will help you as well as non-ib specific resources like videos on youtube for maths and sciences. It also depends on how hard working you are and how you learn because everyone learns in different ways so I don't think I could do ib without some of my teachers but I'm sure there are people who could do really well

in ib small classes are generally better and its pretty common for the classes to be about 10 people. if yo have a smaller class you have more time with the teacher and it will be easier to ask questions and get help.

For cas, there is no guideline saying you have to raise $1000, it just asks that you complete the outcomes. If you play a sport you're doing action, if you volunteer for something you're doing service and if you play an instrument or do some art you're doing creativity. (my CAS is mostly music lessons, drawing, being in the school play, dance classes, going to the gym, volunteering in homework clubs, selling ice blocks to younger students and donating the profits and running a community service group as well as other stuff so you just have to do what you can do to complete the outcomes)

• Like 2

if you feel good about the school, and you think you could get a scholarship, I think you should go for it.

In some ways, teachers are important in teaching ib but its possible to succeed in ib without the best teachers in the world. there are text books written for ib and there are resources online that will help you as well as non-ib specific resources like videos on youtube for maths and sciences. It also depends on how hard working you are and how you learn because everyone learns in different ways so I don't think I could do ib without some of my teachers but I'm sure there are people who could do really well

in ib small classes are generally better and its pretty common for the classes to be about 10 people. if yo have a smaller class you have more time with the teacher and it will be easier to ask questions and get help.

For cas, there is no guideline saying you have to raise $1000, it just asks that you complete the outcomes. If you play a sport you're doing action, if you volunteer for something you're doing service and if you play an instrument or do some art you're doing creativity. (my CAS is mostly music lessons, drawing, being in the school play, dance classes, going to the gym, volunteering in homework clubs, selling ice blocks to younger students and donating the profits and running a community service group as well as other stuff so you just have to do what you can do to complete the outcomes)

I go to a public school with an internal IB-department. In the whole IB-section, years 1 and 2, we are 62 students. We don´t have the best possible teachers, I mean they are not for example IB-examiners or something like that but they have still taught the IB for some years most of them. Some in my class are doing very good, >40 points, and some are lazy and not doing as good. 

I would say the difference between how you succeed in the IB is mostly about how hard YOU work. Good teachers are just a nice thing to have, but the biggest factor is yourself. And you will find everything you need to know about the IB programme and assignment and presentation instructions here on IBSurvival. 

If you feel like you want to do the IB, go for it :)

• Like 2

Thanks so much!! Yeah I guess I would go for it then if I get the scholarship. :D

I go to a public school with an internal IB-department. In the whole IB-section, years 1 and 2, we are 62 students. We don´t have the best possible teachers, I mean they are not for example IB-examiners or something like that but they have still taught the IB for some years most of them. Some in my class are doing very good, >40 points, and some are lazy and not doing as good. 

I would say the difference between how you succeed in the IB is mostly about how hard YOU work. Good teachers are just a nice thing to have, but the biggest factor is yourself. And you will find everything you need to know about the IB programme and assignment and presentation instructions here on IBSurvival. 

If you feel like you want to do the IB, go for it :)

Okay noted! Thanks for the input :D