Should I take Further Mathematics?

rachel12k

I'm a freshman currently and I'm taking Precalculus Honors. I have an A in the class, so I'm doing pretty ok in the class. I'm planning to take AP Calculus BC next year (sophomore year) and take HL 2 my junior year, then take Further Mathematics my senior year. If any of you guys are taking Further Maths this year or have taken it in the past, what would your advice be? The only thing is, I've honestly never really considered myself to be a mathematical person, and I'm interested in pursuing a career in law in the future. Any comments are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Edited by rachel12k

I was in a similar experience as you. I took AP Biology and AP Chemistry my freshman year, but I never really considered myself a science person. When I scored 5s on both of the tests, I still wasn't feeling very confident about science. As a result, I decided to pursue English instead and I've never looked back. Just reading your post, I can tell you that you'll really struggle if you continue taking those math classes. I would recommend Math Studies since you have a good chance at succeeding there and you'll have more time to pursue a career of law. You should stick with math studies for both junior and senior year and perhaps wait until college if you still want to take more math classes.  ;)

• Like 1

I would at the very least take SL Math considering you are in the United States. At my school we don't even have math studies. It is pretty much considered a joke, and it would just look better on your transcript than taking math studies regardless of your major. Besides your interest might change, so take SL math to keep your options open. Also, with that course you will already know a good chunk of HL math and in SL it would be a breeze since now it is just getting use to IB's style. I plan to self study HL Further Math and take HL math in the next two years. I am taking Math Analysis/AP Cal A this year, so you are a year ahead of me; though that's an understatement since I haven't done geometry.  :( There goes my summer. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback! As of now, my counselor suggested that I take AP Calculus AB my sophomore year, then take Math HL1 junior year and HL2 or Further my senior year. (My school doesn't let anyone do IB until they're a junior) Anyway, thanks again! :)

Oh Rachel. You and your math skills.

Don't do Math SL or Math Studies SL; I've heard they're both precalculus-level which would be fairly pointless considering that you've already aced Precalc.

You could totally handle Math HL. You're hardcore. Do it. See how well you handle Math HL 1 junior year, and then you can make the decision about Further Mathematics vs. Math HL 2 the next year. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished IB2 and I do Further Maths (HLs are Maths, Physics, Further Maths). If you don't want to do maths/physics/engineering at university, then I really wouldn't recommend it because it is really difficult! Only do it if you have a lot of time to focus on it, as it takes much more work than other subjects. I had 5 lessons per week and one-on-one teaching, as it's just me who does it at my school, and I'm expecting a 6 (or a 7 if I have a nice, forgiving examiner marking my papers :) ). It's been a struggle.