ib economics paper 1 higher level

hi, so I'm usually pretty good at econ paper 1s, in my mock i found it simple, and got a high 7. However when i opened my real paper one i was horrified, the questions were basically on all the stuff i wasn't perfect on, so i was pretty pissed off....

I was wondering if anyone else who has done this paper had the same problems, and actually how you guys went about answering the questions. 

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

hi, so I'm usually pretty good at econ paper 1s, in my mock i found it simple, and got a high 7. However when i opened my real paper one i was horrified, the questions were basically on all the stuff i wasn't perfect on, so i was pretty pissed off....

I was wondering if anyone else who has done this paper had the same problems, and actually how you guys went about answering the questions. 

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

hi 5! i got a high 7 for mocks as well but died a little inside when i read the paper :( i chose question 2 and 3. took me a while to figure out question 2 part a. in the end i wrote how monopolies charged high prices for low quality products so the government should impose max price level and a quality control check. 

the qs that came out were also on the stuff i was really confused on. fingers crossed we still score a 7!

• Like 1

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

hi 5! i got a high 7 for mocks as well but died a little inside when i read the paper :( i chose question 2 and 3. took me a while to figure out question 2 part a. in the end i wrote how monopolies charged high prices for low quality products so the government should impose max price level and a quality control check. 

the qs that came out were also on the stuff i was really confused on. fingers crossed we still score a 7!

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

Hi you guys had TZ2 right? I felt the paper Micro part 1 way harder compared to november and may 2014, 2013.... However, I really liked the Macro question 3 with the Multiplier and social/economic costs of unemployment! 

In 20 minutes or so we can discuss P2 & P3  :D

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

Hi you guys had TZ2 right? I felt the paper Micro part 1 way harder compared to november and may 2014, 2013.... However, I really liked the Macro question 3 with the Multiplier and social/economic costs of unemployment! 

In 20 minutes or so we can discuss P2 & P3  :D

that was qs 3 for me as well so i guess my paper was TZ2 as well :) 

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

ahhhhh i hope so - i died a little inside as well... I answered 1 and 4 i think - i can't actually remember macro number! 

Having done almost all of the past papers, this one was by far the hardest, at least it was for me... so hopefully the mark scheme is relaxed haha!

I answered the question on common access resources (1 I think) for Micro and the question on Keynesian multiplier (3?) for Macro, and I thought the exam was a total blessing... At first I freaked out when I opened the exam because none of the questions that we might have expected were on there. Even the market structure question was phrased really weirdly, but after breathing haha I started to feel really good about it. The Keynesian multiplier was an especially nice question.

I answered the question on common access resources (1 I think) for Micro and the question on Keynesian multiplier (3?) for Macro, and I thought the exam was a total blessing... At first I freaked out when I opened the exam because none of the questions that we might have expected were on there. Even the market structure question was phrased really weirdly, but after breathing haha I started to feel really good about it. The Keynesian multiplier was an especially nice question.

i was thrown off by the keynesian multiplyer - so did the other macro question.

but i also did the common access resources questions - what sort of thing did you write about? i went along with increases in property rights, quotas, indirect taxes, increased law and legislation etc 

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

I also chose questions 2 and 3! :D 

The questions, per se, were not THAT hard... Yet I didn't answer them correctly, especially the one about unemployment. Using a philips curve would have made me satisfied with my answer. Instead, I gave quite superficial arguments  :( 

How did you answer the questions though?

i was thrown off by the keynesian multiplyer - so did the other macro question.

but i also did the common access resources questions - what sort of thing did you write about? i went along with increases in property rights, quotas, indirect taxes, increased law and legislation etc 

I talked about property rights, but I talked more about permit schemes to prevent the overuse of the resources. I mentioned examples of fishing and hunting and discussed the overall inability of producers to agree on an equitable method of restricting their use of the common access resource. So I made it a point to say that government intervention is necessary to solve the problem.

Hi guys! I just gave this paper a few days ago as well :) 

I answered questions 2 and 3. For abuse of monopolies, I answered it in terms of how oligopolies and monopolies both display monopolistic behavior and the solutions I wrote were from the abuse of monopoly section in market failure (legislation and trade liberalization). The second part was pretty easy though :) 

For question 3 I related it to the government AND tax multiplier and shifted it from a recessionary gap and from the old potential output to the new one. The second part threw me off a bit but I mentioned a bunch of consequences and drew the Phillip's curve with it. What did y'all do?