Economics HL

abrio98

I don't know how true this is.. But apparently one of my friends told me that the grade boundaries are set at the time when the papers are finalised. So they aren't in accordance with how we perform. If the examiners think the papers were easy enough, the grade boundaries are set accordingly.

Did anyone do the monopoly question(2) in section A or the supply-side policies question(4) in section B? If so, how did you find it? 

I think the questions were really generic. Like what do i compare monopolies to? Perfect competition, oligopolies or monpolistic?? 

The part b questions were still better.

Like I mean investing in research and development and government spending on infrastructure leads to rightward shift in LRAS!! And elaborating on this for 10 marks - I think that was crazy

Edited by vish97

Did anyone do the monopoly question(2) in section A or the supply-side policies question(4) in section B? If so, how did you find it? 

I think the questions were really generic. Like what do i compare monopolies to? Perfect competition, oligopolies or monpolistic?? 

Like I mean investing in research and development and government spending on infrastructure leads to rightward shift in LRAS!! And elaborating on this for 10 marks - I think that was crazy

Yeah, same, I ve gone into describing society loss and reduced consumer surplus and stuff in monopolies etc. But there were 2 things you kind of had to say - that they can make abnormal profits in the long run and that they can invest those into the R and D to improve their products and stuff. 

With section B I think it was pretty simple, I ve drawn a cheeky PPC as well lol (outward shift). Part (b) was a lot of bla-bla-blaing.

Did you do the question with perfect competition and oligopolies on paper 3?

Edited by Badalyan

Yeah, same, I ve gone into describing society loss and reduced consumer surplus and stuff in monopolies etc. But there were 2 things you kind of had to say - that they can make abnormal profits in the long run and that they can invest those into the R and D to improve their products and stuff. 

With section B I think it was pretty simple, I ve drawn a cheeky PPC as well lol (outward shift). Part (b) was a lot of bla-bla-blaing.

Yess! The exchange rate question got me a little confused :P 

But perfect competition and oligopolies was pretty cool... except I NEVER expected them to incorporate market structures in paper 3

Yess! The exchange rate question got me a little confused :P

But perfect competition and oligopolies was pretty cool... except I NEVER expected them to incorporate market structures in paper 3

Yep, I did the Exchange question as well:) It went something like 30 to 32 

Hey guys. is it okay if I wrote like Marginal cost in the proper form in the description, but in the diagram I wrote it as MC. But I may have missed on or two labels, but I'm certain I wrote all the important things down, how many marks would I lose for something like that?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found paper 3 tricky!

I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be low for Paper 3.

Paper 2 was really really great. I did Peru and India (super easy) :P

Paper 1 was sort of weird. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure if I wrote enough for the marks allotted. The questions were so specific that I didn't know what to explore further.

yeah paper was quite straightforward (The 8 pt question of asking for policies to deal with Current account deficit has been asked several times before). Yet the question about how the TOT decrease I answered it 'because exports decrease to the price of export decrease and thus lead to deteriotion of TOT. do you guys think that would be correct? Thanks

Paper 1 was sort of weird. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure if I wrote enough for the marks allotted. The questions were so specific that I didn't know what to explore further.

yeah paper was quite straightforward (The 8 pt question of asking for policies to deal with Current account deficit has been asked several times before). Yet the question about how the TOT decrease I answered it 'because exports decrease to the price of export decrease and thus lead to deteriotion of TOT. do you guys think that would be correct? Thanks

What was the question about TOT decrease? I forgot

lol ur name made me laugh... you must have a carbon-oxygen bond in your structure! :P

Edited by ghettogreen

lol ur name made me laugh... you must have a carbon-oxygen bond in your structure! :P

lol i rmb that question is abt defning tot and describing trend of tot in a graph? did you choose that question?

lol i rmb that question is abt defning tot and describing trend of tot in a graph? did you choose that question?

If my memory serves me well, I believe that Peru's import prices (of agricultural food) increased while its export prices (oil?) decreased, so TOT deteriorates. If you apply the definition of TOT, elaborate well and use some of the data/info provided, you should score all 4 points.

• Like 1

If my memory serves me well, I believe that Peru's import prices (of agricultural food) increased while its export prices (oil?) decreased, so TOT deteriorates. If you apply the definition of TOT, elaborate well and use some of the data/info provided, you should score all 4 points.

If I remember well, Peru's TOT deteriorated during 2008-2009 period. I said that one obvious reason is the decline in export price. Another reason could possibly be the global financial crisis during 2008-2009. Since Peru exports commodity good, the demand is very elastic and supply is inelastic. This explains why its TOT deteriorated.

If I remember well, Peru's TOT deteriorated during 2008-2009 period. I said that one obvious reason is the decline in export price. Another reason could possibly be the global financial crisis during 2008-2009. Since Peru exports commodity good, the demand is very elastic and supply is inelastic. This explains why its TOT deteriorated.

Thanks! you have a very good memory :P

Hey guys...I am ECO HL student from TZ2..I had a doubt regarding one question from Paper 3. It was a question about indirect taxes and income distribution. There was a question where the economists suggested that the government should keep the direct tax rates unchanged while increase the indirect tax rates...onto which we had to show the resultant effect on the lorenz curve of the country. My analysis says that that generally progressive income tax rates  promote income distribution and make the lorenz curve shift towards the perfect income diagonal while regressive tax rates worsens it.

But as in the above case the income tax rates were unchanged and there was increase in the indirect tax rates...i showed a leftward shift of the lorenz curve indicating a better income distribution as the average tax rate increases leading to better redistribution effects...

So is my thinking, approach and answer right?

Hey guys...I am ECO HL student from TZ2..I had a doubt regarding one question from Paper 3. It was a question about indirect taxes and income distribution. There was a question where the economists suggested that the government should keep the direct tax rates unchanged while increase the indirect tax rates...onto which we had to show the resultant effect on the lorenz curve of the country. My analysis says that that generally progressive income tax rates  promote income distribution and make the lorenz curve shift towards the perfect income diagonal while regressive tax rates worsens it.

But as in the above case the income tax rates were unchanged and there was increase in the indirect tax rates...i showed a leftward shift of the lorenz curve indicating a better income distribution as the average tax rate increases leading to better redistribution effects...

I forget the exact question. But if indirect tax increase, it worsen the income distribution?

• Like 1

Since indirect tax is regressive in nature, increasing it will increase income inequality! So the lorenz curve should shift to the right (away from 45 degree line of income equality)

• Like 1

Since indirect tax is regressive in nature, increasing it will increase income inequality! So the lorenz curve should shift to the right (away from 45 degree line of income equality)

Income inequality worsens as burden of tax is heavier on the poor. Since indirect taxes are regressive this means that the poor have to spend a greater proportion of their income in paying these taxes..