Biology Paper 3 (Options)

Connor Grady

I chose options D and G for HL. Aside from one short answer question that tripped me up, I found both sections to be pretty straightforward. I think I did pretty well even though we never discussed the options in class (or most of the HL stuff, haha).

Data analysis for section D tripped me up at first. G's was easy.

Edited by metsfanAJM

I did option A and B for SL and I think it was okay, although I messed up the role of actin and myosin as instead of myosin I kept saying myofribril -.-.  Some in my school were complaining about the ventilation rate controlling question in option B.. I just wrote about how with more CO2 blood pH goes down which sends nerve impulses to the CNS and then impulses back which make the alveoli perform gas exchange at a higher rate.. Anyone else who did A and B? What do you think?

Options G and H.. i found them quite easy.. Like discussing fish conservations... My teacher really put that into our brains. And I loved the last question on H, liver functions I was so happy

Me too! The liver was heaven! I wrote all the "state" assessment statements, like synthesise plasma proteins and cholesterol, and produce bile, and the process with hemoglobin and storage of heme and detoxification and what not :D It was supergood! 

Options G and H.. i found them quite easy.. Like discussing fish conservations... My teacher really put that into our brains. And I loved the last question on H, liver functions I was so happy

Me too! The liver was heaven! I wrote all the "state" assessment statements, like synthesise plasma proteins and cholesterol, and produce bile, and the process with hemoglobin and storage of heme and detoxification and what not :D It was supergood! 

I wrote so much about detoxification and the effect of alcohol hahaha it was just too good! and then all the asthma questions were great

I wrote so much about detoxification and the effect of alcohol hahaha it was just too good! and then all the asthma questions were great

you mean the data based ones? nah I don´t know if I liked it really. It was one question about something : "comment on the statement that severe exerice causes asthma?" :D I wrote no cause and effect :D But not sure if it was correct :D 

I did option A and B for SL and I think it was okay, although I messed up the role of actin and myosin as instead of myosin I kept saying myofribril -.-.  Some in my school were complaining about the ventilation rate controlling question in option B.. I just wrote about how with more CO2 blood pH goes down which sends nerve impulses to the CNS and then impulses back which make the alveoli perform gas exchange at a higher rate.. Anyone else who did A and B? What do you think?

I did A and D. Option A was super great and option D was fine.

I did options D and H for HL, I found them both pretty easy to be honest. The data analysis questions, especially the asthma one for option H, were basic interpretation of graphs and I got basically everything from the short answer questions in option D. I was so happy when I saw the 6 point Hardy-Weinberg Principle question, it's easy to show where it derives from and the assumptions for its use are essentially common sense once one understands what can change allele frequencies. Option H was a bit worse but still fine, the electron micrograph tripped me up and I partially blanked on the liver question but overall I think I did pretty well.

I did options D and H for HL, I found them both pretty easy to be honest. The data analysis questions, especially the asthma one for option H, were basic interpretation of graphs and I got basically everything from the short answer questions in option D. I was so happy when I saw the 6 point Hardy-Weinberg Principle question, it's easy to show where it derives from and the assumptions for its use are essentially common sense once one understands what can change allele frequencies. Option H was a bit worse but still fine, the electron micrograph tripped me up and I partially blanked on the liver question but overall I think I did pretty well.

What did you write for the micrograph pic? I wrote microvilli and tight junctions :D 

you mean the data based ones? nah I don´t know if I liked it really. It was one question about something : "comment on the statement that severe exerice causes asthma?" :D I wrote no cause and effect :D But not sure if it was correct :D

I wrote that it causes a higher frequency of asthma attacks because its true.. Like I have a few friends with asthma and they can't do a lot of exercise.. Its useful to relate bio with like things you are familiar with

What did you write for the micrograph pic? I wrote microvilli and tight junctions :D

I just wrote down two random words :P I think it was cortex and something else, I never got around to revising the structure of a villus so I couldn't remember anything.

I did options E (neurobiology and behaviour) and F (Microbiology), HL.

I was rather disappointed by how simple the questions were.... I actually tried to remember all the names for the eye, brain and ear structures, and studied everything in detail.... And all that option E asked was some silly short questions about behavior, the names of 2 psychoactive drugs and the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system...... Like really....

The only question i found hard was the Option F "give 2 reasons why the virus could have distributed like that" (I didnt even recall that being mentioned in the syllabus or studybooks, but i improvised and put some pretty valid guesses.)...And even so, the question wasnt exactly "hard".

We did option F and G and they weren't too bad but I didn't some really silly mistakes link in the long question of G and in a short one for F just the kind of things that when you get out from the class they come to you and your just like "omg how stupid can I be?". But yeah I think it was too bad

I was rather disappointed by how simple the questions were.... I actually tried to remember all the names for the eye, brain and ear structures, and studied everything in detail.... And all that option E asked was some silly short questions about behavior, the names of 2 psychoactive drugs and the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system...... Like really....

The only question i found hard was the Option F "give 2 reasons why the virus could have distributed like that" (I didnt even recall that being mentioned in the syllabus or studybooks, but i improvised and put some pretty valid guesses.)...And even so, the question wasnt exactly "hard".

For quesiton 2 in F I said that there can be different abiotic factors and different climate conditions, but that's what I had to know for the other option so I'm not sure they are right

We did option F and G and they weren't too bad but I didn't some really silly mistakes link in the long question of G and in a short one for F just the kind of things that when you get out from the class they come to you and your just like "omg how stupid can I be?". But yeah I think it was too bad

For quesiton 2 in F I said that there can be different abiotic factors and different climate conditions, but that's what I had to know for the other option so I'm not sure they are right

I mentioned the differences in the environmental conditions and also the difference in the method of spreading the virus (meaning: does it transfer from bee to bee, or does the virus get transferred from another source/species...)...wasn't completely sure, especially since we are not talking about humans here..

• Like 1