Is reading the Economics Textbook Enough?

So our teacher this year doesn't teach very well so we all just rely 100% on the textbook (Economics for the IB diploma, Tragakes) for all our information.

Does the textbook include literally everything that's needed for the exam? Is there any part of the syllabus that isn't in the textbook (for HL as well)

Please help answer!! thanks! :)

• Like 2

I can't speak for Economics, as I do Business & Management myself. 

What I can advise you in any topic in general, is go through the syllabus in detail whilst you read the book. If you notice that something is missing, ask your teacher or seek for complementary information somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Although the Cambridge textbook does a good job (and of course it does not leave out any parts of the syllabus - that would be quite unprofessional), I prefer the Pearson one. From my experience most students need (at least) a bit of further explanation than what the books offer, but as I said, the Pearson book does a great job at explaining theories and concepts.

If you guys or any of your classmates struggle with Econ, you can always turn to me and I will answer any questions as soon as I can.

All the best,

EconDaddy

IB Economics teacher and examiner

www.econdaddy.com

Edited by EconDaddy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Cambridge book is really good and it covers the syllabus thoroughly. I'd recommend taking notes from it and then reading the economist, watching financial times on youtube and debates, for instance pre-election debates are usually great for macroeconomics as they tend to discuss unemployment, fiscal and monetary policy ect... These will give you real life examples that are great to slip in paper 1 and generally broaden your knowledge of economics. There are also some economics blogs which might be nice to keep updated on, check out http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/Undergraduate/undergraduate-reading

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The best tip I can give anyone asking for how to practice for IB Economics SL/HL is to do practice exams. It is the most applicable way to practice for the exams, as it is what you will be doing on the exam. Find past papers, practice them and do as many as you can. It helped me tremendously in my revision for Economics HL for May 2013 exams.

For content, your textbook is probably enough, but you could supplement it with other textbooks. I personally used the Pearson IB Economics book, which was very helpful both content-wise and for practice exam questions.

• Like 1