Physics paper 3 (options)

Eid Jazairi

How was it? Which options did you guys choose and how did you do? Personally I got option B and E.. Astrophysics was a walk in the park besides the binary star question, option B on the other hand had me doubting myself the entire way, calculations just didn't seem right.. But then again there are so many numbers its so easy to mistype a small digit into the calculator that makes the whole thing wrong XD

Anyways! Share how you guys did!

I'm HL too and I did option E (Astrophysics) and option I (Medical Physics). I  :wub: option I (best out of any practice test I took from the past couple years; it had everything I liked!). Felt just okay on option E (didn't study it too much/at all...).

I did the same options as you, author ! Option B and Option E, Standard level.

I have the exact same impression about the exam as you it seems...

Questions in Option B were weird and rather annoying. Option E was okay I guess. Calculations easy, the only hard part I would say was the binary stars maybe.

• Like 1

HL tz2, i did the astro and particle options, and seemed to go well, wasn't anything in there of much difficulty, couldn't completely remember why there is more matter than anti matter in the universe for the very last question but should pick up 1 or 2 marks for what i wrote. but overall went well 

HL tz2, i did the astro and particle options, and seemed to go well, wasn't anything in there of much difficulty, couldn't completely remember why there is more matter than anti matter in the universe for the very last question but should pick up 1 or 2 marks for what i wrote. but overall went well 

Wow really? did the paper ask you to explain why there is more matter than anti-matter in the universe? If that is the case, then the IB is really unfair; because physicists aren't even sure why. There are several valid hypotheses of course, but there isn't a consensus among physicists about why it is so.

Wow really? did the paper ask you to explain why there is more matter than anti-matter in the universe? If that is the case, then the IB is really unfair; because physicists aren't even sure why. There are several valid hypotheses of course, but there isn't a consensus among physicists about why it is so.

Yeah, but it is a classic "just learn the syllabus" question. Probably not even correct anymore - but you just have to state that particle-antiparticle production is only possible at a high temperature (actually calculated in part (a)), but annihilation is possible at any temperature. Since there was initially slightly more matter in the universe than antimatter, matter "won". I'm guessing it's the last part - why there actually was more matter from the beginning - that physicist are debating? That, we didn't have to explain. 

Yeah, but it is a classic "just learn the syllabus" question. Probably not even correct anymore - but you just have to state that particle-antiparticle production is only possible at a high temperature (actually calculated in part (a)), but annihilation is possible at any temperature. Since there was initially slightly more matter in the universe than antimatter, matter "won". I'm guessing it's the last part - why there actually was more matter from the beginning - that physicist are debating? That, we didn't have to explain. 

I'm pretty much wrote this, i just didn't write about the photon collisions that could occur at high temperatures  which i believe will be one of the marking points for the 3 marks

For Astrophysics (Option E) Does anyone remember the graph they drew for the eclipsing binary star's variation of apparent brightness with time? If so, please describe what the shape was like. 

For Relativity (Option H), The last part of the last question (frequency change from the rocket's acceleration or something) did you simply use the formula to calculate the frequency change and write it down as the final answer? 

For Astrophysics (Option E) Does anyone remember the graph they drew for the eclipsing binary star's variation of apparent brightness with time? If so, please describe what the shape was like. 

For Relativity (Option H), The last part of the last question (frequency change from the rocket's acceleration or something) did you simply use the formula to calculate the frequency change and write it down as the final answer? 

eclipsing1.jpg

Not sure you can actually see that picture, but I think the link is embedded at least. I drew the one to the left.

Edited by Sofia.
  • Like 2

HL here. I did Option E (Astrophysics) and H (Relativity).

Option E was very straightforward - I enjoyed the questions and was able to answer them fairly thoroughly.

And then Option H WRECKED me.

Hoping for at least a 5 overall :L

Are you TZ1? Because I'm TZ2 and found relativity more straightforward than astro..

HL here. I did Option E (Astrophysics) and H (Relativity).

Option E was very straightforward - I enjoyed the questions and was able to answer them fairly thoroughly.

And then Option H WRECKED me.

Hoping for at least a 5 overall :L

Are you TZ1? Because I'm TZ2 and found relativity more straightforward than astro..

Yes I am TZ1. I forgot to mention it D: 

I should have studied more for relativity but astro interests me more :D