Australian Uni from Another Country?

Well, it really depends on what you want to do! Australian universities have relatively good rankings (well, some of them) and from what I've heard, they're pretty good. I haven't really been to one, but I've had a few friends say they've liked it, and they haven't really had any complaints (either that or I haven't asked enough).

I have to admit, I don't understand what you mean - so you're not planning on using your IB grades? Well, then I'd suggest you go onto a few of the websites for universities and look at their requirements. To enter universities, you have different websites to put your grades in, with the websites varying from state to state. For example, for universities in Victoria you go to vtac.edu.au, but for New South Wales and ACT you go to uac.edu.au - I have yet to do the application process myself, so I can't offer more advice than that, sorry!

Just a friendly reminder that Australian universities start in February/March as opposed to... September? I don't really know when Northern Hemisphere universities tend to start.

(Not from Australia, by the way, but I've lived there and have friends there + our school had a seminar on applying to Australian universities.)

Edited by Guest

I'm not exactly the greatest advertisement for going to an Australian uni from another country (I'm Australian, but now in the UK for university), but Australia can definitely be a good place to study! We have some pretty awesome universities, and the weather is great. As mentioned, you do have to go through UAC or VTAC or whatever (each state/territory in Australia has it's own system) - although honestly I think most international students would be interested in the universities covered by UAC, VTAC and possibly QTAC. 

As mentioned, uni does start at a weird time for Australia. So, unless you are doing mid-year entry, you would probably have to take a half-year off after IB before starting university. So, if you're May 2016, you probably wouldn't start until Feb/March 2017 (after applying in September 2016). Also, Australian universities use final IB marks rather than predicted grades.

I'm not sure what would happen if you used non-IB marks. I presume that Australian unis would be able to deal with it, but I'm honestly not sure - you may need to contact individual universities to find out. If you do do IB, definitely use the IB marks. 

Only thing to keep in mind that scholarships/funding for international students can be rather thin on the ground, and fees are high - but if you are keen, universities do make some special provisions - so research is always helpful. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it really depends on what you want to do! Australian universities have relatively good rankings (well, some of them) and from what I've heard, they're pretty good. I haven't really been to one, but I've had a few friends say they've liked it, and they haven't really had any complaints (either that or I haven't asked enough).

I have to admit, I don't understand what you mean - so you're not planning on using your IB grades? Well, then I'd suggest you go onto a few of the websites for universities and look at their requirements. To enter universities, you have different websites to put your grades in, with the websites varying from state to state. For example, for universities in Victoria you go to vtac.edu.au, but for New South Wales and ACT you go to uac.edu.au - I have yet to do the application process myself, so I can't offer more advice than that, sorry!

Just a friendly reminder that Australian universities start in February/March as opposed to... September? I don't really know when Northern Hemisphere universities tend to start.

(Not from Australia, by the way, but I've lived there and have friends there + our school had a seminar on applying to Australian universities.)

Our universities start around Aug or September, but woah, February? That's crazy, but in a good way-- starting year off nice and not skewed haha.

For IB grades, I just mean that I personally think that my marks from my Canadian high school will be higher than the IB mark, so I'd want to use what is higher, but haven't finished everything yet so I have yet to see!

Thanks!

I'm not exactly the greatest advertisement for going to an Australian uni from another country (I'm Australian, but now in the UK for university), but Australia can definitely be a good place to study! We have some pretty awesome universities, and the weather is great. As mentioned, you do have to go through UAC or VTAC or whatever (each state/territory in Australia has it's own system) - although honestly I think most international students would be interested in the universities covered by UAC, VTAC and possibly QTAC. 

As mentioned, uni does start at a weird time for Australia. So, unless you are doing mid-year entry, you would probably have to take a half-year off after IB before starting university. So, if you're May 2016, you probably wouldn't start until Feb/March 2017 (after applying in September 2016). Also, Australian universities use final IB marks rather than predicted grades.

I'm not sure what would happen if you used non-IB marks. I presume that Australian unis would be able to deal with it, but I'm honestly not sure - you may need to contact individual universities to find out. If you do do IB, definitely use the IB marks. 

Only thing to keep in mind that scholarships/funding for international students can be rather thin on the ground, and fees are high - but if you are keen, universities do make some special provisions - so research is always helpful. 

Awesome! That's good to know, probably should start my planning like right now!

Although I'd love to go to uni in Australia, probably end up staying in Canada, riding my moose off to glory from my igloo.  :lol:

Edited by hermionemalfoy