Hey everyone. I've literally been counting down the minutes till I could post about the French AB Initio paper 1 exam. Only 3 people in my school take it (including me) and I was the only one with different answers (especially the true or false bit).

Anyway, I found text C the most difficult one because that wording was all meant to be a trap. What did you guys think? 

Hahaha me too, I've been really anxious to know everyone else's answers. And likewise, I found Text C to be the trickiest. I remember that :

The first T/F was on whether she makes articles out of sacs of plastique and I gave a true to that. 

The second one was a false, something about the name of the mother, which was some Doctor Fatiha or something and not the name that started with Is...

The third one was very tricky, some gave true, some gave false. The word "metier" could refer to them already having their traditional methods of making articles, and thereby it would be false since they aren't learning anything new, or it could be true if you say that they learnt a whole new profession since it was now earning them money. Anyhow, I gave a true to this one. 

The last one was also tricky, whether she did her graduation from the university of her home country. But since the passage didn't EXPLICITLY refer to that, but indicated that she did hers from france, I gave a false to that one :/ . 

You? 

Also, what did you write for Text D, where you have to indicate what words the following words in the passage refer to (like qui, leur refers to what). The first one, an example, was femme, and after that??????

Text A was really easy, I just made a stupid mistake in the very first question :( and wrote it was a television emission instead of the correct option B. 

Text B was a tad tougher than A, I was a bit puzzled at why he wanted to leave Casablanca since there was no explicit reason other than he had been living there for too long and wanted to start a new life. 

Text D was fairly easy, I gave correct guesses on those synonyms (THANKFULLY :P ) but that refer-word-thing was annoying. I always screw that one up. 

Hahaha me too, I've been really anxious to know everyone else's answers. And likewise, I found Text C to be the trickiest. I remember that :

The first T/F was on whether she makes articles out of sacs of plastique and I gave a true to that. 

The second one was a false, something about the name of the mother, which was some Doctor Fatiha or something and not the name that started with Is...

The third one was very tricky, some gave true, some gave false. The word "metier" could refer to them already having their traditional methods of making articles, and thereby it would be false since they aren't learning anything new, or it could be true if you say that they learnt a whole new profession since it was now earning them money. Anyhow, I gave a true to this one. 

The last one was also tricky, whether she did her graduation from the university of her home country. But since the passage didn't EXPLICITLY refer to that, but indicated that she did hers from france, I gave a false to that one :/ . 

You? 

Also, what did you write for Text D, where you have to indicate what words the following words in the passage refer to (like qui, leur refers to what). The first one, an example, was femme, and after that??????

Yea for the T/F I went T(T)TF. I thought the 2nd one was true because I recall reading that the company was named after her mother or something but I am not 100% sure. I'll check up on it once my French teacher gets the exam.

• Like 1

You? 

My answers for the T/F bit were FFTF. I was debating the first one because they said that Faiza was the one that collected the plastic bags and turned them into fashionable accessories but it wasn't actually her. It was the association (and the people that were working there) that were in charge of the process; Faiza only came up with and integrated the idea in Morocco.

The mother's name is definitely Fatiha because I read over that sentence at least 10 times throughout the exam. It was clearly meant to be a trap because they mentioned the name of the brand and IN THE SAME sentence said the the name of the association is that of her mother's name. Sneaky sneaky IB. (I also did some research on the actual website of the association to make sure of a few things).  :angel:

I chose true for the third one because they mentioned more than once that the women in the city/village were given opportunities for work, etc. I think this one is definitely debatable though. 

The last one was definitely false because I am positive she got her degree from France. I even think it was mentioned in the text to be honest.

I can't really remember what I wrote here but I think there was another one referring to "les femmes" and there was also one that referred to "la nature".

Text A was really easy, I just made a stupid mistake in the very first question :( and wrote it was a television emission instead of the correct option B. 

Text B was a tad tougher than A, I was a bit puzzled at why he wanted to leave Casablanca since there was no explicit reason other than he had been living there for too long and wanted to start a new life. 

Text D was fairly easy, I gave correct guesses on those synonyms (THANKFULLY :P ) but that refer-word-thing was annoying. I always screw that one up. 

Sorry for  posting so much but I'm new to this stuff 

Text A was definitely way too easy, it even threw me off guard cause I thought I was going to ace the exam until I saw LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE. 

In text B, they wanted to leave Casablanca to immigrate/emigrate to Canada. 

Text A was definitely way too easy, it even threw me off guard cause I thought I was going to ace the exam until I saw LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE. 

No I understand they wanted to leave Casablanca to emigrate to Canada, but i think the question asked what was the reason behind them leaving casablanca and emigrating to canada? :/ 

Isn't your answer a bit too simple? :P 

Edited by Megamind

You? 

Yea for the T/F I went T(T)TF. I thought the 2nd one was true because I recall reading that the company was named after her mother or something but I am not 100% sure. I'll check up on it once my French teacher gets the exam.

I'm positive the second one was false. As NourILL said, this was a trick question (Sneaky lil' IB). The rest of my answers are exactly the same. 

Also I remember the synonyms: 

Competitions - concours

Recompenser- grace

Montrer (didn't know what it means but guessed, turns out its right :P) - presenter 

No I understand they wanted to leave Casablanca to emigrate to Canada, but i think the question asked what was the reason behind them leaving casablanca and emigrating to canada? :/ 

Isn't your answer a bit too simple? :P

The question only asked why they were leaving Casablanca, they didn't mention Canada. 

I honestly don't know though. I remember trying to stay within the paragraph perimeters they outlined for us to, so I could be completely wrong but by the looks of past paper mark schemes, all answers tend to be WAY simpler than you'd expect.

I found Paper 1 to be fairly simple in my opinion. I had a TON of practice ones (I was the only French ab initio kid in my class) from like, 2009 up to 2014, so I had a lot of exposure to different types of questions.

I don't remember how my T/F sequence went. ;-; I found all of the texts to be at a similar difficulty.