Nervous breakdown before exam

Emilia1320

So I have mathematics exam Thursday and I still have 40 long verbal questions to do before it and now I'm stuck with one and literally crying because I feel like I won't be ready by then.

I've tried all solving methods I know but there is one dumb variable that doesn't cancel out whatever I do... It's not the point.

Point is I feel like I simply have no enough brain for IB or even if I do I can't gather it for the exam, honestly I just want to quit at moments like this. I want to learn math and science more than anything but I don't want to be tested for it!

It goes beyond to having one grade on math thou, most of us would just say whatever. If I didn't get good grade on this exam it would literally ruin my self-esteem since I'm bad at like almost everything and decent at one thing and that thing is math. If I'm bad at math too I really change schools since then I just need to say IB ain't for me...

... Sorry for complaining, I just had to get this to paper.

• Like 1

Chill, you'll be fine. One question isn't the entire exam. And you can still be very good at math even if you're slightly worse at one aspect of it. Now you're overthinking this question and your brain gets you stuck because of emotions - move on to other questions and forget about this one. Then come back to it with a fresh attitude. 

And as Rosalina said, don't hesitate to ask for help. You're not supposed to know everything, you're still learning though, and there is a lot of stuff in each subject that seems counter-intuitive and is much easier to get through with some external guidance.

Think of this all as a challenge - maths is all about challenging ourselves in the end. We learn it to solve problems and although it is frustrating sometimes, everything we like can be when it doesn't go as planned. You'll get over this question and everything wil be fine again. Don't let one stupid question or exam ruin your confidence, you've done thousands of them so far and they proved you're really good at math; you'll eventually deal with this one as well.

For now though, have some tea, a piece of cake and let your emotions calm down... or explode if they need it.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 3

The way you're feeling is completely normal. Maybe this might help: I had a complete breakdown before one of my exams for my Master's last year, at the ripe age of 24, after having done the IB, and 2 other degrees.

The material and responsibility will only get harder. Just remember that your best option is to have a clear mind because the stress will only deter your learning.

Now for your math problem, what is it I might be able to help :)

Oh and if you are in a situation where you haven't finished revising, strategise and know what you do know very very well and you'll still get a good grade by answering those questions 100% right.

• Like 2

I totally understand how you feel. I felt like that, on a Saturday, and actually cried myself to sleep that night, because I had so much stuff to do by Monday and Tuesday, and my parents didn't get how hard I was working.

Sleeping helped, as did 3 cups of coffee and eggs the next morning. I think IB doesn't JUST wear you out mentally, but physically, too.

Firstly, breathe. A lot of the time, when you're stressed, irrational thoughts come to mind, because I'm certain that you can do IB, and I'm sure most people around you are 100% sure of that too. 

Secondly, I think you're spending far too much time concentrating on one thing, even though I have no idea what you've been doing. Have you gone outside for a while and gotten some fresh air? Maybe gone for a bit of a run? Played your favourite game for fifteen minutes, or half an hour? Had a nap? Read a chapter or two of a book? Have you relaxed a bit? You need to study, but you need to have a break too, and if you just keep going over the same stuff, you're going to freak out after a while, so, if you haven't, please take a bit of a break, and then when you come back, you'll feel more refreshed.

On the note of refreshment, water and food. Make sure you're having some at your regular times. This may sound like a lot of self-care, but the thing is, if you're feeling this way, you really should be taking care of yourself, otherwise you're going to be stressing about the test, upset, and just be exhausted by everything.

Once you're feeling a bit more relaxed, look at the problem again. After doing a lot of problems, sometimes you just get completely sick of it and your brain turns off. Does it make more sense now? If not, as others have said, ask someone! It's better to clear it up now then come Thursday still be unable to do it. Can you message a friend? Email your teacher? Find a resource online with a similar question?

I completely understand how you feel about not being very good at any other subject (though, I'm not good at any so...) but I think you need to remember that, whilst your grades are important, you self-worth is not entirely dependent on them. Also, doing not-so-well in one test/exam is not going to mean that you're bad at maths, it means that maybe you didn't or couldn't study enough, maybe it wasn't your day, maybe, maybe, maybe. There are so many factors involved, and to think that you're horrible at something based on one test? Well, I'm a hypocrite, but it's ridiculous, and certainly not true.

tl;dr: Take care of yourself, ask for help, and your self-worth shouldn't and isn't based on your grades. I hope it works out for you!

first of all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dont worryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB haPPy :) MaRvElOus WeDnEsDaY tO yOu :rolleyes:

2ndly, dont worry man, you are a true thugga and nothin's gonna roll you! :angry:

:fight::worship::coffee::hi::cookie::sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere:

:sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere: :sothere::butbut:

:v:

• Like 3

Thanks, I feel a lot better now. Its true that I had been doing math 2 hours by then and I will just ask from my teacher today. Also I got my bio presentation made which was also sorta relief :)

.... And now while writing this I got a form of flash and now I understand question was obivious... I just had 1 power wrong from right beginning.

Edited by Emilia1320
  • Like 4