What are you doing during the summer break? (studying related)

nevis

Just wanted to hear what you guys are doing, since my summer is pretty much filled with ib stuff -_-

I'm on IB1 now so I'll be doing my psychology EE during the holidays. I also have to finish my Written Assignment and do some summer reading for Finnish (probably for English as well). I also thought about starting my Biology IA this summer so I'd have less things to worry about next autumn.

Of course I'm doing CAS: running, swimming and taking dance lessons :wub:

• Like 1

Hey there! :)

I plan to do my EE too, complete a little bit more of CAS and also start thinking about my Written Assignment (since the school said we're starting it in September).

I also plan to be doing similar with the Biology IA, so I can get it out of the way! I also will be having some reading to do for English Literature.

I find your plan to be a wise plan for spending your summer, well done! 

lol I'm not in IB anymore, but yes!

Do your EE over the summer- it's the single best thing you can do for your IB score. An well done EE draft means two things:

1) your supervisor has time to look over it and give feedback

2) you have ample time to redraft, and if it's already well-written, the changes are likely to be minor

3) you'll have more free time for ....other IB pursuits XD

in the summer between IB1 & IB2, I finished my EE and went to France to practice my french in an exchange program. I also did some service, and spent as much time as possible relaxing- that stuff is important! 

Take a break guys, but not for too long ;) 

I was actually hoping on doing an internship but dont think i'll fit that into all my study and leisure time.

I plan on doing my English Lit EE (still haven't finished reading the books required), my biology IA because I cant do it at school anyways, and editing my English Lit written task (our draft is due before the break so i'll edit it during).

I'm travelling a lot this summer too so I hope I can get good work done while i'm on those 14 hour long plane rides.  :P

Hi! Well I'm definitely going to finish my EE, catch up on CAS reflections, I'm working this summer too so yay, figuring out the basics (get some ideas) for my History IA so I can start right when school begins after getting feedback from my teacher and reviewing the syllabus for whatever courses I'd have to do that for - maybe even take some notes. 

I have summer school regardless though (because IB doesn't let us take three sciences) so I'm taking grade 12 physics all of July. What fun.

I'm going to work abroad for two months but while there, I'm planning to do my EE, relearn what we've done of the Math syllabus because I am flunking hard right now, and I'm hoping to read a few books for History and Psychology. Really looking forward to study days of 2 instead of 12 hours, hehe.

I will work monday to friday every week, study for Physics and Maths and SATs, do my EE in Economics, and read a whole bunch of inspiring books, start planning Maths + Psychology IAs and also party and rest, If I have the time. 

Aaand I would also like to go on a OSC mid-IB revision course to Harvard, but I am not sure if my boss will give me a week off to go to the US.. 

I'll be getting my glider license through the air cadet program, which counts as CAS :)  I would like to have a strong draft of my EE and my History IA done for September. Oh yeah...and those 43 TOK journal entries that I still have to catch up on :P

What is a TOK journal? :D 

I've actually been planning my summer as well, it's never mentioned that we should study for next year but it's not abnormal for country's students to do so, so i will be doing that. I am hoping to have a rough draft of my EE done by mid-June so I can focus on studying. 

I'm going to swim for CAS, keep updating my photography website and my pro-environmental website (both CAS), hopefully work so I can buy books for exams next year, study vocab and grammar for French (my French is terrible), study for history, read at least 3 of the texts for literature next year, work on math review, OH and I have to write my script and storyboard for my film. also work on my film portfolio so I can apply to film schools in the fall.  

anyone have any tips for studying during the summer when you don't have any program to do it within? 

I'll be getting my glider license through the air cadet program, which counts as CAS :)  I would like to have a strong draft of my EE and my History IA done for September. Oh yeah...and those 43 TOK journal entries that I still have to catch up on :P

You guys don't have to do TOK journals? Our TOK teacher makes us do one journal entry per week about a "TOK moment". It could be about any experience/encounters that makes you think of knowledge question. Basically anything that makes you ponder and think "hmm, that's interesting". 

You guys don't have to do TOK journals? Our TOK teacher makes us do one journal entry per week about a "TOK moment". It could be about any experience/encounters that makes you think of knowledge question. Basically anything that makes you ponder and think "hmm, that's interesting". 

We do not do that in my school, but it sounds pretty interesting atleast :)

Advice from a former IB student:

Get your freaking EE done over the summer.

Tons of my friends, after coming back from the summer holidays, were in shambles trying to get their rough drafts done, tweak it, etc...don't be that person.  You'll thank yourself so much when you have more time to focus on the material in IB2, such as your TOK essay and other misc. IAs, without having to cram time for your EE. I did mine over the summer and was able to focus on other homework, as well as tweaking every last bit of my EE. Your TOK essay will also consume a decent amount of time, being that it can give you more points on your diploma! Also, if you have time...

Get more done with CAS!!

Since you won't be plagued with a lot of schoolwork (hopefully), you'll have time to relax and whatnot - but why not get some more CAS stuff done? Participating in sports or an art  class counts! Plus they will also create very fun memories that you'll look back on. Also, be sure to keep your CAS journals updated! I don't know if everybody has to do these, but keeping a CAS journal with the date, time, amount of hours, type of hours, and description of the event, along with a piece of evidence (photo, brochure, whatever), will become SO handy when you have to submit your evidence and reflections to your IB coordinator. (Mine was due in February of IB2).

Personally...
This summer I begin my co-op with Beaumont Health for their IT division. It's required by my university for a total of 10 or so co-op terms. Beaumont is a large hospital association in my area, so it's good that I'll be able to help others. I'm pursuing a degree in Computer Science and Computer Engineering so yay! I begin classes in October. :)

• Like 1

I feel like I'm lazy compared to you guys !

I'm just gonna study random math and... That's it :D but I'm not IB1 yet :3

Oh definitely bulk up on your prerequisite knowledge for maths as well. Although it's given in the data booklet, it's nice to know it off the top of your head (you're also Maths HL - you'll be expected to pull that so quickly out of your ass). Something you could do is read over the syllabi for your classes (such as science and maths) and get to know the material - you'll cover it in two years, but it's nice to be familiar with it.

I feel like I'm lazy compared to you guys !

I'm just gonna study random math and... That's it :D but I'm not IB1 yet :3

Oh definitely bulk up on your prerequisite knowledge for maths as well. Although it's given in the data booklet, it's nice to know it off the top of your head (you're also Maths HL - you'll be expected to pull that so quickly out of your ass). Something you could do is read over the syllabi for your classes (such as science and maths) and get to know the material - you'll cover it in two years, but it's nice to be familiar with it.
Thanks for advice ! I just like math, I've taken/self-studied basics of calculus, logarithsms, trigonometry, number theory and stuff. Working on linear algebra atm. I hope it will help me to survive Math HL :S