How to Prepare for the IB

Kymberlite

Hi guys, I'm in Grade 10. Although it's the end of the year, how should I spend my summer before the IB starts? 

List of what I'm planning to do: 

•  Practice for SATs 
  • Read books for English HL Literature 
  • Revise notes/ textbooks for HL history, SL math and SL Spanish B 
  • Do CAS hours ( prepare for MUN, go to guitar lessons, kickboxing, planning schedule for community service club)   

Thanks for any advice! 

You should finish your Extended Essay, your HI, and your WIT essay during the summer.

In all seriousness, you can't technically start CAS until you are in grade 11, but it's good to start now :)  Reading the English books is a must. Try to start a notebook/onenote/evernote on the themes, motifs, characters, etc. of each book. Also, I encourage you to use colour coded stickies as well. If you can buy your own books, then you can take notes directly on the pages.

If you think you can self-teach yourself math and Spanish, then go for it. But in my opinion, History is the easiest subject to study by yourself. Take a look at the outcomes for the sections that you will do, and make them of them a header in your notebook/onenote. As you read through the textbooks, try to jot down/copy-paste any relevant information about those outcomes. It will save you tons of time next year.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

You should spend your summer relaxing and hanging out with friends. You don't need to be constantly studying or working, it's very important to relax, especially before the IB where you may not get the chance as often. You have TWO YEAR to do all of that, there's no need to try to do it in the summer before IB.

• Like 4

Like Emmi said, you honestly would not want to work and start stressing now. You have two years to do all that, and will be more than enough for your human mind to handle :P

My advice would be to just chill and take the IB Diploma course the way it's meant to be, starting at the beginning of Grade 11. Your school will tell you all you need to do and begin delivering the course to you when you start Grade 11, when it's meant to be.

• Like 1

I absolutely second Emmi and ultimateone. This summer will be your last real breather before May 2017, take the most of that. I really recommend reading books you want to read and concentrating on your hobbies. I've had to quit many of my loved activities for the IB. Really wish I'd relished in reading more, hiking more, spent more time with family, because I won't have another chance to do that before school's done. Browse your textbooks, watch Spanish cinema––that's more than enough for the pre-IB summer. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, after a year in MYP5 I am chosing to study econ, psychology, math (this is great if you know your math skills aren't the greatest and you really want to do well) and some biology. I really want to know as much as possible when getting into DP and being able to relax more then rather than now. 

Oh right, I am looking into EE topics as well!