Can you tell the truth through lies?

Yugalarex

Hello everybody,

After having done endless revision on Tim O'Brien's: The things they carried, I decided to base my presentation on that because I thought there was a lot that could be explored. I came to the title 'can you tell the truth through lies'. Am I allowed to use the book as a real life situation? If not, does anyone have any ideas for a rls?

^~^

Farley Mowat (Canadian writer) apparently did it. 

He said "I never let the facts get in the way of truth."

Is that lying? Some say "yes". Some say "no". I think something similar was said by either Toni Morrison or (more likely) Maya Angelou...

Thanks a million!

Can I use this as a real life situation though?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you can use a book. "As long as it's a real life situation" my teacher said. I used a movie.

But about your question... since we are talking ToK shouldn't the first hesitation be "Is there even a thing like truth?", "How do we decide what is true?", etc. I hope you get my point. Then, taking it further, if we say something doesn't it become "truth" in a way? Or else, what is a fact? What is common knowledge? What is knowledge and what is information? How do we know anything? What is intuition in all that? And I could go on forever. Overall, I personally wouldn't do your title as my presentation... unless you really specify what is truth and that are lies, but since I do not believe in ultimate truth (what are lies then?) I can't help you with that.

Edited by mhelof