Is this a justifiable way to start a debate?

Rosalina

Read this please

Apparently,these guys were trying to highlight the "hypocrisy" of animal welfare campaigners....by killing a rabbit on air with a bicycle pump and then proceed to announce they'll eat it.

I think they did this solely for ratings. After all, I have seen A LOT of activism for better treatment of animals on farm and banning experimenting on animals.

Do you think they did this for ratings? Could they have presented their topic in a more civilized manner? 

Does anybody get the urge to smack them ?

Edited by Rosalina

It's definitely a publicity stunt. It is quite possible that the goal was to create some noise around the topic - get people to pay attention. They got attention but not the right kind (assuming the animal rights was the goal). Acts of terror and/or violence don't get you anything (unless you already have control). 

I don't support the killing of any animals, though I think the debate is a very important one to have and for people to consider. 

I think there is huge hypocrisy displayed by anyone who gets outraged by the killing of a rabbit, a dog, a cat etc., but continues to eat meat. Human meat consumption leads to the killing of billions of farm animals, which IMO is more appalling than the death of one rabbit. (Incase you didn't know, they are sentient beings capable of complex emotions as well)

I think before people go on vituperative bursts of outrage over stunts like this, they need a reality check as to how humans treat animals as a whole. 

Social conditioning is so powerful. It boggles my mind how acceptable 'farming' of astonishing amounts of animals, keeping them in extremely constrained unnatural conditions, mutilating their bodies for 'efficiency', separating mothers from their young, and then killing them prematurely for food which we could live without. 

The next time you judge someone for killing an animal you consider 'cute' like a dog or a rabbit, remember what you are supporting indirectly by consuming all sorts of animal products. ;)

Yes, it was an unjustifiable, cheap shot for publicity but what saddens me more is the ubiquitous indifference of people regarding treatment of animals, other than pets. 

• Like 1

Yes, I do think this is a justifiable way to start the debate concerning animal welfare campaigners. I think that the radio hosts were merely displaying to the public something that is going on around them every day, but the public chooses to be blind to. The rabbit was then consumed afterwards, so this is not "senseless killing".

If the rabbit was replaced by another animal that was less cute, for instance a pig, would the reaction have been the same? I agree that it is hypocritical that people protest against killing animals while they eat meat themselves. Or even for the vegetarians out there, have they never swatted a fly or slapped a mosquito before? Do those less appealing insects not have the same sentiments and rights as animals that are more appealing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't support the killing of any animals, though I think the debate is a very important one to have and for people to consider. 

I think there is huge hypocrisy displayed by anyone who gets outraged by the killing of a rabbit, a dog, a cat etc., but continues to eat meat. Human meat consumption leads to the killing of billions of farm animals, which IMO is more appalling than the death of one rabbit. (Incase you didn't know, they are sentient beings capable of complex emotions as well)

I think before people go on vituperative bursts of outrage over stunts like this, they need a reality check as to how humans treat animals as a whole. 

Social conditioning is so powerful. It boggles my mind how acceptable 'farming' of astonishing amounts of animals, keeping them in extremely constrained unnatural conditions, mutilating their bodies for 'efficiency', separating mothers from their young, and then killing them prematurely for food which we could live without. 

The next time you judge someone for killing an animal you consider 'cute' like a dog or a rabbit, remember what you are supporting indirectly by consuming all sorts of animal products. ;)

Yes, it was an unjustifiable, cheap shot for publicity but what saddens me more is the ubiquitous indifference of people regarding treatment of animals, other than pets. 

I completely agree with you, and would just like to add about all animal products causing harm, people say they love animals yet eat them or eat their products and it completely boggles me. I believe that this was completely the wrong way to get publicity and can damage the animal welfare issue just like peta does a lot.

• Like 1