Need help with some sources for my History IA

Sree98

Hi there IBers,

I was introduced to IB History IA last week in my History HL class. I thought of 3 questions for my IA. These are the three question:

1. How has media influenced by the 9/11 attack?
  2. Was dropping the atomic bomb justifiable to end the WWII?
  3. How has the 9/11 incident helped improve the safety of passengers and airports in general?

I asked my teacher and recommended to do the 1st one since it is really good. Would theses be a good IA? Is there anything I need to add to these questions? And I was thinking about the 1st one too. Is there any BOOK sources I could see for that question(1st one). 

Thank you,

Sreekuttan

Let me tell you one thing off the bat that my history teachers who have been teaching IB and passing students with 7s for years and years have told me:

never ever ever write anything about justifying the use of the atomic bomb. Just my little tip.

I personally like the first one as well, but you should phrase it a little more differently and probably use a command term.

Maybe something like: Explain/Examine how media has been influenced by the 9/11 attack. And I would also suggest keeping a time frame. Like if you're going to talk about it in the first five years, state "five years after the incident." 

• Like 1

Oh, I see. I have some Books as the sources, like 3 or something. But my teacher is asking for like 5 or more BOOKs only. She also said that I could use scholarly articles to use as sources. Are there any other Books for that question? I am going to use three books. Journalism after September 11, Terror Post 9/11 and the Media, and Feet to the fire : the media after 9/11. 

Well I don't know of any specific books about media during and after 9/11 but if you can use articles...would it be possible for you to specifically use articles about 9/11 from 2001 and then articles some years later about the event and compare them? (I'm not exactly sure how you're approaching the question, so I was wondering because then you can use those too although I would ask your teacher first)

• Like 1

I agree with IbTrojan that the third question is your best bet, and that you should narrow in on the time period. Another thing to take into consideration is whether you want to include media from after the Iraq War started in 2003 because there was probably (not completely sure though) a big shift in media attitudes at that point. 

In some respects you might now even need books if you've got a really solid number of primary source articles to look at, but a good place to look for books is in research databases like JStor!

• Like 1

Hi, guys. 

I changed my topic a little bit. Well it is more like an adjustment to the Thesis:

• The American media in the aftermath of 9/11: Effective journalism or anti-Muslim propaganda?
So is this one better i found so articles to guide me and also some book to help me as well.

Hi, guys. 

I changed my topic a little bit. Well it is more like an adjustment to the Thesis:

• The American media in the aftermath of 9/11: Effective journalism or anti-Muslim propaganda?
So is this one better i found so articles to guide me and also some book to help me as well.

I think the first one is actually really good, and it gives you room to write a lengthy IA. However, i recommend that you determine your time frame and make sure that the periods you cover are at least 10 years ago, because if less than 10 years have gone by, the IB does not consider that as history. So maybe you can explore media reactions up to 2003 or 2004? Time frames are very important, because the IB don't really like vague IAs, and it could lower your grade for a few sections.

• Like 1