Advice on Summer Plans for IB

Hi!

I'm starting the IB program this September, and I am taking:

HL: Maths, English A, Economics

SL: Physics, History, Mandarin B

I'm planning on reading widely to prepare me for the large amount of books I will be encountering this September, as well as getting a head start on the topics covered in the first year of IB HL Maths.

I am also considering starting my EE.

Will this prepare me well, given the limited timeframe of two months, for the IB? Is there anything else that would be beneficial for me to prepare for?

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. I wouldn't recommend starting your EE because your TOK teacher will explain this stuff to you later on. For English, you don't know what books you are going to read so there's no point. You can't really prepare much for IB tbh. Just relax over summer break and enjoy it while you can because IB will consume so much of your time during the school year. Don't burn yourself out trying to prepare for it. 

• Like 2

I don't think you should relax to be honest. I took the same advice last year but I should have done something productive.

As you will be doing English A, it will be a really good idea that you finish some of your books in advance. I don't think there is much you could do for maths HL or science, as it is better to have a teacher to explain things for you. So overall, don't overstretch yourself, but I would highly recommend you to spend some time on studying languages ( Chinese --- reading or drama ( 'ai qing gong yu' is a good one ), which in my humble opinion is really fun anyway.  

But fasten your seat belt, cause IB is gonna be a rough ride :), heading towards HORROR haha. just kidding. it is not that bad.

I don't think you should relax to be honest. I took the same advice last year but I should have done something productive.

As you will be doing English A, it will be a really good idea that you finish some of your books in advance. I don't think there is much you could do for maths HL or science, as it is better to have a teacher to explain things for you. So overall, don't overstretch yourself, but I would highly recommend you to spend some time on studying languages ( Chinese --- reading or drama ( 'ai qing gong yu' is a good one ), which in my humble opinion is really fun anyway.  

But fasten your seat belt, cause IB is gonna be a rough ride :), heading towards HORROR haha. just kidding. it is not that bad.

The problem is that I'm going to a new school, so I won't know what they're going to be studying for English A until I get there.

Yep I have a math tutor. Want to make sure my math abilities don't go down the drain during the summer (which is what happens if I don't do any math for two months straight).

OMG aiqinggongyu is so funny! Though they did copy a lot from friends.

Haha you sure it's not that bad? I tend to believe IB horror stories when they come from many sources.

I wouldn't start your EE until you have had a meeting with your supervisor and actually been involved with the subject for a few months!

(you could always look through the syllabus!)

Unless you have been given readings for your break I would not suggest reading for the sake of it (study wise). You don't want to burn yourself out before you start! My advice would be to relax and revise the basics of your chosen subjects. Pace yourself!

Good Luck! 

• Like 1

The problem is that I'm going to a new school, so I won't know what they're going to be studying for English A until I get there.

Yep I have a math tutor. Want to make sure my math abilities don't go down the drain during the summer (which is what happens if I don't do any math for two months straight).

Haha you sure it's not that bad? I tend to believe IB horror stories when they come from many sources.

haha, i love aiqinggongyu. I think if you r aiming for 42+ for ur IB, then yes, u will have to study yourself into a fury and it will be a lot of work. that is why it is just paramount to prepare yourself during the summer. but ur subjects are manageable, unlike my peers, they have like 2 A languages and 2HL science, they suffer :( 

haha, i love aiqinggongyu. I think if you r aiming for 42+ for ur IB, then yes, u will have to study yourself into a fury and it will be a lot of work. that is why it is just paramount to prepare yourself during the summer. but ur subjects are manageable, unlike my peers, they have like 2 A languages and 2HL science, they suffer :(

Mhm I'm hoping to study a lot of IB1 maths during the summer as I have already learnt the majority of what will be covered in Physics SL and Econ HL

Mhm I'm hoping to study a lot of IB1 maths during the summer as I have already learnt the majority of what will be covered in Physics SL and Econ HL

WOW, that is productive.... How did you manage to do that?  I wish i could be more like you..... I am the laziest person ever. :(

WOW, that is productive.... How did you manage to do that?  I wish i could be more like you..... I am the laziest person ever. :(

Haha it's not my productivity. My current school has an IB average of 42. This, I believe, is because of how we study much of the economics in the IB in our tenth grade school year, and the same goes for Physics SL.

Haha it's not my productivity. My current school has an IB average of 42. This, I believe, is because of how we study much of the economics in the IB in our tenth grade school year, and the same goes for Physics SL.

average of 42.... that is awesome. My school's average is like 31........ my school sucks so I have to work harder. 

average of 42.... that is awesome. My school's average is like 31........ my school sucks so I have to work harder. 

Your school lets everyone take it though, right?

yeah, but my school is kinda new to IB and most of the teachers dont know what they are doing. 

yeah, but my school is kinda new to IB and most of the teachers dont know what they are doing. 

Lol my point was just that my school only has a high average because they only let the top 35 students in the grade take the course.

Lol my point was just that my school only has a high average because they only let the top 35 students in the grade take the course.

My school is relatively new to IB as well. The average last year was 34.

(These are some huge quotes :P )

My school is relatively new to IB as well. The average last year was 34.

(These are some huge quotes :P )

Hahahaha yeah they're massive!

How many years has your school been doing it for?