Can anyone suggest books/resources to prepare for French next yr?

Hi,

I did really poorly in French in grade 10 and next year is the real beginning of the IB programme. I want to get a 7 and I'm planning to work really hard these next 2-3 months to improve my French to that level. So I'd like to know:

Which books should I get to really bring my French to the next level (I want to get a 7)? What themes in vocabulary should I be focusing on, anything in specific that will help me on IB papers or what not? I heard for grade 11 IB HL French, you don't really need to know much grammar other than last year's, but vocabulary is the main focus.

I plan to be speaking French and really working on the accent with the many CD's and DVD's I bought, as well as watching French movies without subtitles, reading French articles, etc so I can fully immerse myself in the language for next year.

Thanks!

Edited by poweroverwhelming

Hey!

Firstly, I'm sure you'll do fine, since you seem pretty determined! I'm only in year one of HL French, but here are some things I've noticed:

- A solid foundation in grammar will definitely help.

- Vocabulary wise, knowing how to transform colloquial language into more formal register is key.

- You'll be fine as long as you read all the books and listen to/improve from your teacher's comments and suggestions. :]

Some books I'd recommend:

Le Parfum par Patrick Suskind - page-turner, makes you think about morality and other TOK-ish things, the vocabulary & style of writing are pretty easy to read, but there could be some minor challenges. (awesome book!)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (translated into French :P ) - more advanced, you might need to do some research into Buddhism and Hinduism (good practice for IB) and so many symbols!!

Have fun!  :D

Edited by Manish00333

Hey!

Firstly, I'm sure you'll do fine, since you seem pretty determined! I'm only in year one of HL French, but here are some things I've noticed:

- A solid foundation in grammar will definitely help.

- Vocabulary wise, knowing how to transform colloquial language into more formal register is key.

- You'll be fine as long as you read all the books and listen to/improve from your teacher's comments and suggestions. :]

Some books I'd recommend:

Le Parfum par Patrick Suskind - page-turner, makes you think about morality and other TOK-ish things, the vocabulary & style of writing are pretty easy to read, but there could be some minor challenges. (awesome book!)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (translated into French :P ) - more advanced, you might need to do some research into Buddhism and Hinduism (good practice for IB) and so many symbols!!

Have fun!  :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be sure to implement them. Also, could you suggest learning books or resources that teach French grammar more in-depth? I mean things like pronoms, pronom agreements, subjonctif, etc.