IB stereotypes in your school?

There are totally 8 curriculum in our school each one having a different block so the only time we can meet the kids from other blocks is when we go home so few kids say that IB is hard,tiresome, boring... and a few say that IB is easy its not that hard and the rest don't have any opinion on IB (sense perception)   

LOL ^_^  :D  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

At my school, there are generally two views of IB students.

1. "They think that they're all that just because they are learning harder stuff"

2. "Those kids who are always complaining"

IB students tend to stick together, they have their own little culture kind of thing. As a grad class, we didn't fit in at all, but we had each other. There is a general view that IB students feel more superior (and really, I think it's ok to feel like you deserve a little more for all that you're going through! Not as a reason to heavily look down on others though) but there is always the jealousy that non-IB students have. "IB students are special". 

The grad class gets to plan events without considering IB assignment deadlines and exam schedules, but when we try to plan something by ourselves, it's "not fair to the non-IB students because we have a history of prejudice".

• 3 weeks later...

At my school, the IB kids thinks that regular kids learn very slowly, while regular kids think IB kids are super smart and learning all the hard stuff that might not be useful later in life.

They also think IB kids are non athletics, physically weak and unfit people ("join this gym class! Even IB kids can do it!"-a teacher).

According to a language teacher, the school board thinks that the program is filled with rich, white kids, which is not the case. At all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're very diverse (in my class anyway), but are generally seen as nerds and/or uncool by students (though that doesn't stop them conversing with us at lunch when forced to and asking for quiz/test answers). They think we work too hard and stress too much. The teachers see as the hope for the future.

• 6 months later...

My school has the IB curriculum and the IB only. Within our school, we joke among ourselves and complain to each other about the never-ending work. We are often stressed but we also realise that we chose this so we don't place blame on others for it. We complain a lot. It's all we can do.

Outside of school, other students think that the work we do is really hard, that we are smart to be able to do it, and that we are dumb for choosing this fate for ourselves. We're somewhat respected because our school is one of the 3 in the state that does full IB. Some students envy us, but I don't think any are jealous because here in Australia's system, the IB doesn't get much recognition or many benefits.

I don't know of any personally, but I think some students also hate us because we are perceived as elite, or because they believe that our work isn't as hard as we make it out to be.

Haha, I think that we are either the excluded group and thought of as the extreme nerds, or we are revered because everyone seems to be amazed when I say that I'm in IB. Also, most people in the regular curriculum at school seem to think that only Asians take IB and only because of their parents- I'm Indo-Canadian (Asian? South Asian) and I'm taking the IB diploma for myself as a challenge.

• 1 month later...

At my school, IB kids are known as people who do little work in class and get a ton of free food. This is entirely because of the IB potluck every year and the frequent food parties the IB teachers encourage (especially English and Bio) as well as the TOK class being known to do nothing after TOK presentations are due. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Weird. I wish our IB kids were "nerds." The stereotype (and truth) of the IB kids at our school is that most of us (not me) are drunks, druggies, and basically stoner rich kids who only get okay grades but can use their parents money to keep them in the program. It's actually pretty ridiculous. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2015 at 9:46 PM, ibwantingicecream said:

In my school the IB students are respected but In other schools I've heard that Ib students are the "nerds that have no life." How is it in your school?

There is a title that follows us around, "Perfectionist Procrastinators", but the "nerds with no life" also fits. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

My school is kind of varied. My grade/year sees IB kids as ridiculously smart, constantly stressed and exhausted, and having no free time. The grade/year above us sees IB kids as really arrogant and elitist. Both stereotypes are semi-true, depending on which IB kid you're talking about ;) 

My school offers both IB and the state highschool course, where about 30~ of us out of the 150~ are doing IB in my cohort. The stereotypes for IB kids by the other kids are that: we're all smart/geniuses (true to a certain extent), we complain a lot (also true), we never have time for anything (sort of true we all procrastinate), we are stressed ALL THE TIME (:nicole:) and that we are the school's dream team to get high ATARs (national high school course score ... thing). Despite all of that I actually really like my little IB cohort, we don't compete against each other like the other kids have to (ranking system) and we can all sit and cry together knowing that we all feel the same...

Guest Ihatelife

Most of the kids are hated and considered weak rich white kids that can't plan a sport except cross country or swimming. But i play varsity football and jv basketball as a freshmen so I am not considered as much of a nerd

In my school, they are mostly druggies and alcoholics. Not saying that I am one, but these people seem to be notorious for having the biggest bash parties. They keep inviting me to parties and I am a year younger than all my classmates.

Edited by QADS