So I have a three week holiday at the moment and I have to prepare for my IOP. I also have to send in my topic and which book I am doing in to my teacher by the end of this week. So far we have studied Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Hamlet and Dotter of her Father's Eyes. I was thinking about doing something to do with how feminism is now being thought of empowering woman instead of equalizing all genders and I was going to relate to Dotter of her Father's Eyes and do possibly a diary entry of one of the characters. I was wondering what the ratio was in terms of whether I should talk mostly about the book and relate to the topic or talk mostly about the topic and relate to the book or have a half half ratio. If you guys could help me with this that would be great! Thanks!

Your main focus is literature, and these works -- not feminism. Feminist theory is a lens for examining the literature, but in the end all your examples and references will be from (and to) the works themselves. 

Beware also of applying the term "equality" to any  piece of lit. Or simply viewing women in works from another era as "unequal" if conceptions of men and women are different to our own. Unfortunately,  feminist theory is sometimes used this way reducing everything to the present, and to total banality.  I've got a lot of classmates here at uni who are big on feminism/feminist theory, know little of either, and tend to make lit into a mirror for their own concerns. They have  no conception of the past not any respect for the works in their hands and it seems my prof. accepts this (either cowed or thinking it's trendy). You want to avoid this mistake in your IOP.

That's my little piece, anyway.  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your main focus is literature, and these works -- not feminism. Feminist theory is a lens for examining the literature, but in the end all your examples and references will be from (and to) the works themselves. 

Beware also of applying the term "equality" to any  piece of lit. Or simply viewing women in works from another era as "unequal" if conceptions of men and women are different to our own. Unfortunately,  feminist theory is sometimes used this way reducing everything to the present, and to total banality.  I've got a lot of classmates here at uni who are big on feminism/feminist theory, know little of either, and tend to make lit into a mirror for their own concerns. They have  no conception of the past not any respect for the works in their hands and it seems my prof. accepts this (either cowed or thinking it's trendy). You want to avoid this mistake in your IOP.

That's my little piece, anyway.  ;)

This makes total sense, I've just written my IOP and I don't think I have made those mistakes. I did my IOP on Dotter of her Father's eyes and my topic was: Mary Talbot’s use of perspective and the representation of gender roles to put forward an argument for feminismMary Talbot’s use of perspective and the representation of gender roles to put forward an argument for feminism. Thank you for the help!