help for sl/hl selection

Anthony

My name's anthony and i desire to become a commercial pilot when i grow up. I'm currently studying in grade 10 and have to make up my subject selections by next week.

Out of mathematics, physics, chemistry and economics, i have to choose 2sl and 2hl.

I'm planning to choose math/economics as hl and physics/chemistry as sl

Though i'm worrying if i should choose 2 science subjects as sl and also if i should choose physics as sl since my desire is to become a pilot

please help by giving me suggestions for the subject selection

thanks

Physics HL would probably be the better option, but unless if you absolutely require math HL or you really enjoy math, don't take it because it's insanely difficult to score high on. I think you should be fine keeping chem at SL though. It all depends on where you're going to go to get your pilot's license. Each place has different requirements, but yeah physics HL would be a good choice. 

Hi Anthony,

According to what you say, I believe that the subjects that you should take in HL would be Physics, and Maths or Economics. Personally, if you feel brave enough I would choose Maths HL (because you would take great advantage of it in a future). So, I would leave Chemistry in SL, because it won't be decisive at all. Basically: 

HL: Physics and Maths, tough as hell but useful as well.

SL: Economics and Chemistry, it should't be a problem.

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,

According to what you say, I believe that the subjects that you should take in HL would be Physics, and Maths or Economics. Personally, if you feel brave enough I would choose Maths HL (because you would take great advantage of it in a future). So, I would leave Chemistry in SL, because it won't be decisive at all. Basically: 

HL: Physics and Maths, tough as hell but useful as well.

SL: Economics and Chemistry, it should't be a problem.

I personally agree with this statement, if you want to be a pilot, this will lead to a better chance in going into desired universities.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the priority in IB, in terms of applying to universities, is to get a higher overall grade out of 45. Now unless your dream uni requires certain subjects, you shouldn't automatically choose certain subjects at HL just because they are tremendously useful. Now that being said, the very elite and competitive programs (such as top 5 in global rankings) will likely require, without explicitly saying so, all HL Physics + HL Math and them at 7s. It's a different story if you are in the IB mainly to prepare for university, then perhaps taking HL Math + HL Physics is a good choice. However uni math is VERY different from high school math and uni physics is calculus-based, not algebra-based. So Math and Physics won't necessarily prepare you content-wise but definitely in terms of studying habits and workloads.

A friend took HL Math, SL Chem in school, and summer school physics in a month (everyday for 5 hours). He got into University of Toronto Engineering Science but is transferring into aerospace in year 2 or sooner.