IB math converted to AP levels?

jinahyejin

I'm starting IB next year, and I am planning on going into a medicine, which is why I'll be taking Bio and Chem higher.

Due to this, I feel like adding Math HL on top of it won't help me with my grades and will probably bring my GPA down so i took math standard level. I figured standard level math would be kind of... overlooked (?) by universities so I wanted to take the AP Calc AB test to show that I am at a pretty decent level in math.

However, I ended 10th grade with a 5 in the highest math class, which means I am fit to go into math HL. They told me that the first semester of math standard will be reivew. 

Is it the about the same calculus? Will I have to self-study before taking the test?

Or should I take math HL instead?

AP Calc AB is approximately the same content as SL Math Calculus + Fundamental Theorem of Calculus + Riemann Sums.

AP Calc BC is approximately HL Math Calculus + HL Option Calculus. 

AP emphasizes on mastery of skills while SL and HL math focus on critical thinking. Many schools will accept SL math as a uni prerequisite but the most competitive schools (of math or science related fields) will like to see that you are challenging yourself by taking more difficult courses.

I am not entirely sure that you will be ready to take the AP exams as of yet. You should wait after next year to make this decision. If you are planning to take the AP exam much before finishing learning your IB math then yes you have to do a lot of self-study.

AP Calc AB is approximately the same content as SL Math Calculus + Fundamental Theorem of Calculus + Riemann Sums.

AP emphasizes on mastery of skills while SL and HL math focus on critical thinking. Many schools will accept SL math as a uni prerequisite but the most competitive schools (of math or science related fields) will like to see that you are challenging yourself by taking more difficult courses.

I am not entirely sure that you will be ready to take the AP exams as of yet. You should wait after next year to make this decision. If you are planning to take the AP exam much before finishing learning your IB math then yes you have to do a lot of self-study.

Thank you so much for the info, 

So medicine related fields will probably seek the most difficult math course?

I also was wondering if I get a so-so grade in math HL next year, presumably a 5, would it be better off to take math SL and get a 7?

I also was wondering if I get a so-so grade in math HL next year, presumably a 5, would it be better off to take math SL and get a 7?

You're better off with a 7 in maths SL, of course, a 6/7 in maths HL would be ideal but...since it's a really competitive course, aim to maximize your IB score. Taking maths SL will allow you to do that and you won't be hindered by it as it isn't required by most universities (UK, not sure about other countries). In your case, definitely take french B HL over maths as there is very little difference between SL/HL french B so you'll be reducing your workload by a ton by taking the much less work-intensive course (french) at HL - you can dedicate more time to your other subjects = higher IB score = increased chances of getting a university offer (assuming the rest of your application is good). 

Edited by Pink97
  • Like 1

You're better off with a 7 in maths SL, of course, a 6/7 in maths HL would be ideal but...since it's a really competitive course, aim to maximize your IB score. Taking maths SL will allow you to do that and you won't be hindered by it as it isn't required by most universities (UK, not sure about other countries). In your case, definitely take french B HL over maths as there is very little difference between SL/HL french B so you'll be reducing your workload by a ton by taking the much less work-intensive course (french) at HL - you can dedicate more time to your other subjects = higher IB score = increased chances of getting a university offer (assuming the rest of your application is good). 

I'm wondering if there's another class I could take that might benefit me as I'm going to a medical field in the US?

Thank you so much for the info  :D  :D