Math HL IA topic help

EmotionalEwok

Hey everyone! I need to submit my math exploration topic in a few weeks, but I haven't gotten one yet.

I was planning on doing something related to geometric patterns of complex numbers, but I'm not sure whether that has enough scope (and I don't even know how to start). Any suggestions for topic with a lot of HL worthy math?

I don't think you should ask for direct help of topic....

But possible way of starting your investigation may be by looking at the things you like. For instance if you like sports, you could use statistics to predict future winners or use parabolas to examine how a ball travels.

Good topics with a lot of HL worthy maths are things related to rates of change. At first I decided to look at how the shape of a bread changes as time changes although at the end I changed my topic.

Good luck with you IA and I hope this helped!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Remember there are marks for level of personal engagement. While these can be achieved by conducting your own tests, producing your own examples and diagrams, etc, they are easiest to reach by picking an applied topic that you're clearly passionate about. You could either find a real-world topic you're interested in and try and find the maths in it, or find a mathematical topic and look for applications (and then feign interest in said application) - but this isn't an EE, and pretty much all of the good IAs I've seen are applications of mathematics to another idea or discipline.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Looking at complex numbers is a really interesting topic for an IA although it is better if you research into one of the applications of complex numbers and then discuss it in your IA.

As for other possible topics, you might want to have a look at the following link: http://ibmathsresources.com/maths-ia-maths-exploration-topics/

They have plenty of ideas and some of them include complex numbers. By the way, have you considered looking at maths applications in various games?

As for something really weird and that I have always wanted to calculate, is the probability that the humanity will go to hell OR the velocity at which the rumours get spread over time. This is a bit off the topic but maybe it will inspire you to a more fascinating topic for your maths IA.

Good luck!

• Like 1