Chemistry Extended Essay Help!

IBdubai

hello guys,

I have been thinking about my chemistry extended essay topic for a while now, and have reduced the shortlist to three possible topics:

1.Measuring Phenolic Poluttants in water using HPLC

2.The quantification of preservatives in different drinks using HPLC

3.The comparison of the different concentrations of vitamins and minerals in organic and inorganic fruits using HPLC

(HPLC-High performance liquid chromatography)

Can you please help me decide which topic to choose considering the limitations i might be facing for some of these topics, and personally, i think i should go with the second option but i wanted your opinion

Thank you in advance

The three are quite similar (in data collection techniques) and I do not know enough to rank them in order of feasibility. But you should consider additional methods of detecting concentration (eg. spectrophotometer and colour intensity) to lower uncertainties.

TBH I think number 2 may be the most difficult because "preservatives" range greatly in shape and function groups but "phenolic" and "vitamins" are each similar for ease of detection. I never worked with HPLC so I am just limited to textbook knowledge. Like the reason I'm saying function groups because I was thinking of doing a reaction to detect concentration. There's a common indicator for phenols, look it up or ask your teacher if you don't know already.

• Like 1