Preparing for bio and chem HL?

jinahyejin

Hi, I'll be starting IB beginning of the this fall and I'll be taking bio and chem higher.

I was wondering how I can prepare myself, because I've heard from former students that Chemistry higher is very demanding and Biology higher has a lot of memorization.

Thank you  :lol:

Happy holidays 

• 3 months later...

Like what ellie said, the syllabus is a great resource for IB Biology. All the content that is required is listed there and you can easily make notes off of it. 

I'm doing Biology and Chemistry HL and honestly they are not hard to do together, just be sure to pre-read materials and study a lot.

Good luck.

Honestly Biology HL is great if you like the content. It's hard at first, adjusting to the workload and the huge amount of content you have to learn but it's extremely interesting. It's worth the effort. 

Familiarize yourself with the syllabus. Read the textbook before class. Make notes before the test. Ask questions, read outside material to boost your own knowledge. The SL parts often contain topics taught in IGCSE (though it is usually more in depth) so spend more time on HL parts.

I find it easiest to understand bio by 'applying' it to everyday life, like when I go for a booster shot at the doctor's I think of all the immunology stuff I've been learning - this is the way I remember things. Test-wise, do past paper questions (find these online!) and try and follow the mark-scheme. 

My advice for Chemistry is pretty much the same :) 

• 1 month later...