Considering Remarking in English and History

isaiguana

This year, I took the SL English and SL History exams and today I received my results. In both cases I received a 6, but in English I was 4 marks from a 7 and in History I was 2 marks from a 7. I am considering getting either one of them or both of them remarked, but I'm not sure if I should... I am not particularly fond of the price and I fear that my marks could go down instead. 

So, I would like some advice; should I get these papers remarked or should I simply leave them?

generally, the rule is if you are one mark of the next grade boundary in a subjective subject like english and humanity subjects, there is a possibility you'll be marked up to the next grade, however, you're 4 marks of a 7 in english which personally, i think is too much to risk. If you want to, its possible you can get bumped up in history and if you have the funds to do it i would suggest it but you need to realise your mark may go down.

• Like 1

generally, the rule is if you are one mark of the next grade boundary in a subjective subject like english and humanity subjects, there is a possibility you'll be marked up to the next grade, however, you're 4 marks of a 7 in english which personally, i think is too much to risk. If you want to, its possible you can get bumped up in history and if you have the funds to do it i would suggest it but you need to realise your mark may go down.

But the first and second time (remark) examiners would have had to have marked really inaccurately and differently for the mark to go down in the remark. Like, if you're in the high range of a grade, the odds are you'll either stay the same or in a good case scenario, bump up to the next grade. Although it's not impossible, the odds of you losing like 10-20% for you to go down to the preceding level (a 5 in your case) is pretty low, since you're only 2 marks away from a 7 in History. And even 4 marks for English, that's not too risky, considering a whole grade boundary is range of about 15 to 20 marks. The new examiner would have to be really strict for you to go down to a 5, but worst case scenario in a realistic perspective, you'll stay at a 6.

I say, go for History, and English can be at your discretion since there is a lower chance for English to go up compared to History.

If it does go up, you will get a refund. So... do what you think is best. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

But the first and second time (remark) examiners would have had to have marked really inaccurately and differently for the mark to go down in the remark. Like, if you're in the high range of a grade, the odds are you'll either stay the same or in a good case scenario, bump up to the next grade. Although it's not impossible, the odds of you losing like 10-20% for you to go down to the preceding level (a 5 in your case) is pretty low, since you're only 2 marks away from a 7 in History. And even 4 marks for English, that's not too risky, considering a whole grade boundary is range of about 15 to 20 marks. The new examiner would have to be really strict for you to go down to a 5, but worst case scenario in a realistic perspective, you'll stay at a 6.

I say, go for History, and English can be at your discretion since there is a lower chance for English to go up compared to History.

If it does go up, you will get a refund. So... do what you think is best. Good luck! :)

i'm not trying to say their mark will go down, i'm trying to say it is really expensive and I think it would be risky to spend that amount of money for no difference in your mark to be made :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. I have until September to decide whether or not I will remark the exams, and I will also wait until later this week for component grades to be released. I think it would likely be the best idea for me to solely submit my history exams to be remarked, if any at all. Once again, thank you!

• Like 1