Geography vs economics?

alexalexalex

Hello! So i have to choose my IB subjects fairly soon. I was planning on choosing HL Maths, physics and chemistry but now hearing how absolutely insane HL Maths is I've decided that i should perhaps drop HL Chemistry.. now i have to choose which subject i should choose instead.

I've always thought of myself as "bad" at geography since im bad at knowing where the countries are and names of capital cities etc.

Recently i did one test for geography, one for economics, and one for history.

On the geography one i got 100%, on the economics one i can't remember but i was one point away from a 7, and on the history one i got 100%.

I've always planed on choosing economics but now im starting to doubt.

I have two questions..

1. Which one (according to you) is easier at HL, econ or geo?

2. Do you have to be good at knowing where all the countries are and capital cities etc to be able to do very well in Geography?

Thank you so much for answers!!

i disagree with ketone

geography hl is way easier, its a course where you can get away with anything given what you wrote sounds legitimate

its pretty much using common sense

and no you dont need to learn capitals or anything like that, its a chill course (its more like describing population trends etc...)

i only took geo cause my other subjects were deemed too hard (hl physics, math and cs)

• Like 1

I don't get your logic

I was planning on choosing HL Maths, physics and chemistry but now hearing how absolutely insane HL Maths is I've decided that i should perhaps drop HL Chemistry.

But okay. Definitely HL Geography is easier than HL Economics. However the geo IA is I think the hardest IA in all group 3 subjects. Agree with kfernando1

geography hl is way easier, its a course where you can get away with anything given what you wrote sounds legitimate

its pretty much using common sense

and no you dont need to learn capitals or anything like that, its a chill course (its more like describing population trends etc...)

i only took geo cause my other subjects were deemed too hard (hl physics, math and cs)

A challenge about Geography is the loads of case studies you will have to memorize (which is a lot harder than memorizing capitals). Luckily IB reuses past year questions.

EDIT:
Every diploma student at my school have to take at least one of SL economics or HL economics or SL geography.
The split (between the three subjects) is about 2:3:1. We had a really messed up geo session, notably 3 teachers taught the same class at different times of the two years. Historically the percentages of 6 and 7 in all three course at my school are about same.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

Easy is relative, it really depends on your abilities. I'm not sure which tests you took exactly, but since you got a 100% in geography and almost a 7 in economics it seems like you're pretty good at both. Check out the differences between geography and econ here:http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/individuals-and-societies/geography/ and here: http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/individuals-and-societies/economics/ and see what interests you more.

I take both at HL, and I have to say Geo is FAR easier, just because it's common sense really, and if you can write essays well, and ANSWER THE QUESTION, then you pretty much have it in the bag. However, it does somewhat depend on the options you do, which'll make it heaven or hell (Like my school does Oceans, and it's SO dull. The worst option in my opinion). However I can definitely vouch for whoever said that the IA is tough, because it is. You put so much time and effort into it, and it's so long (Mine was 27 pages, and that's about average for Geo IAs in my school), so if its on an option/topic you don't like, you will loathe it. Also the HL extension is a little tricky in my opinion. And yes, the sheer amount of content, regardless of the case studies, will drive you nuts. Add in the case studies, it's amazing we aren't clinically insane.

One thing I found with Geo though, is that I didn't find it as intellectually stimulating? Maybe it's just my school or the course itself, but Geography is just memorising, and regurgitating what you know within the parameters of the question. Not much critical thought really. And nope, you won't be tested on countries and capitals.

In Econ, I found it pretty tough, especially with Paper 1 essay writing style, which is something I still can't do very well. It doesn't really matter how knowledgeable, if you can't master the essay style you won't get too far I'd say. The IA is far easier (Three 750 word commentaries), and the content is usually pretty interesting! There's a lot of content too, but it isn't as bad as Geo. Also, with HL Econ, there is a mathematical paper, but it doesn't go beyond linear functions. But you will have a bunch of equations to remember.

Even though Geography is easier, I find Econ a lot more intellectually stimulating, and it's a challenge I really enjoy, despite perhaps not understanding 100% of the time. Personally, I somewhat regret taking Geo (wish I wook Philo instead tbh), just because it can be so dull at times, especially since, again, our school picked options that don't interest me personally. But if your school's options interest you, then I'd say go for Geo, cause it'll be interesting, and not too difficult! 

• 1 year later...

Omg why is everyone so good at geo? By far it's the hardest class for me. Tok, biology and language classes are so chill, but for geo it's even hard for me to get a 5! I just cannot remember all these land features and formations and maps and whatsoever. Although I uses pure intuition to get a 90% on the last test, I'm not sure if I'm still lucky this time 

• mac117 locked this topic