Anyone here good with electronics?

God

So I'm done with IB, and I'm pretty bored at the moment until I go to uni. I want to learn how to make cool stuff with electronics, and i don't think Physics HL taught me very much.  I am wondering if anyone is good with electronics. How should i further develop my knowledge in electronics after IB physics? I want to actually make stuff but i don't know where to start. A lot of the stuff on the internet look pretty complicating. 

Any got any ideas? thanks!

GOD

Go buy yourself a microcontroller (arduinos are pretty popular, and the Uno model is pretty basic and easy to understand) or Raspberry Pi and electronics starter kit containing things like LEDs, resistors, wires, transistors, etc (these can be found pretty cheaply online) and use sites such as Instructables to find some simple projects that interest you.

This is a random question, but does anyone know why one side of earphones suddenly stop working? It happened to several of my earphones...

http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-left-earpiece-in-a-pair-of-earphones-always-stop-working-after-a-while

Basically the wires, which are very thin to begin with, age and wear as you use them, and as they age the wires begin to break in places, and eventually the breaks get so numerous or destructive enough that electricity can't travel through that wire anymore and as a result you hear nothing out of that earbud (if it's past the split) or in the entire headphone set (if it's before the split).

• Like 1

This is a random question, but does anyone know why one side of earphones suddenly stop working? It happened to several of my earphones...

http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-left-earpiece-in-a-pair-of-earphones-always-stop-working-after-a-while

Basically the wires, which are very thin to begin with, age and wear as you use them, and as they age the wires begin to break in places, and eventually the breaks get so numerous or destructive enough that electricity can't travel through that wire anymore and as a result you hear nothing out of that earbud (if it's past the split) or in the entire headphone set (if it's before the split).

ohhhhh i see.

But would be any way of preventing these breaks or at least lengthening the life of the wires?

So I'm done with IB, and I'm pretty bored at the moment until I go to uni. I want to learn how to make cool stuff with electronics, and i don't think Physics HL taught me very much.  I am wondering if anyone is good with electronics. How should i further develop my knowledge in electronics after IB physics? I want to actually make stuff but i don't know where to start. A lot of the stuff on the internet look pretty complicating. 

Any got any ideas? thanks!

GOD

Yeah bro, I wanted to further my knowledge as well in electronics, and I always wanted to make a robot so I spent a whole summer learning C and learning how to solder, wires, breadboards and just basic knowledge over electronics... This was the end result and I also made it my personal project so yeah useful for my school grades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvxMQvM3iTM

Go buy yourself a microcontroller (arduinos are pretty popular, and the Uno model is pretty basic and easy to understand) or Raspberry Pi and electronics starter kit containing things like LEDs, resistors, wires, transistors, etc (these can be found pretty cheaply online) and use sites such as Instructables to find some simple projects that interest you.

And I used arduino as well, it is a really good microcontroller mainly used by  beginners; so it isnt that powerful, but I'm pretty sure its powerful enough for what you're trying to do

Yeah bro, I wanted to further my knowledge as well in electronics, and I always wanted to make a robot so I spent a whole summer learning C and learning how to solder, wires, breadboards and just basic knowledge over electronics... This was the end result and I also made it my personal project so yeah useful for my school grades

Would you say it was easy to learn using the arduino and learning how to program in C?

Would you say it was easy to learn using the arduino and learning how to program in C?

I learned C++ which is similar to C, and it's not too difficult to understand. Some areas can be tricky if you've never done object oriented programming before, but there are lots of tutorials and information out there that can help you figure it out. Same with arduinos - there is a lot off stuff. It's best to start with basic things at first and once you've got that figured out, move on to more complicated projects.