Daphnia EE

nirlesh

I'm doing Biology HL and I have started my EE. As my research question is "effect of acetic acid on heart rate of Daphnia".

Is it ethical to do my EE on Daphnia???? and am I against the animal experimentation policies????

But I'm using very less concentration of Daphnia. How should I justify if during my experiment, Daphnia dies???

Please help me and it's urgent

Thank you in advance...

I have heard that there has been issues in previous years at my school when a student wrote her EE on drosophila, where the flies were killed.

However after a lot of drama and some modifications to her experiment (she didn't personally dissect the flies) as well as some paper work she was able to get her EE through.

However when doing any lab work concerning animals read the ethical guidelines for animal testing.

These include you justifying your experiments and having a reasonable hypothesis in mind.

It would be best to avoid animal testing in your EE, but if you really want to do it and have thought carefully about it, it has been done...

Personally I'm doing my EE on Ciona development so at least I am working with animals and my EE supervisor has approved my research question and methods.

Edited by Cthrek
  • Like 1