HL Math IA

EmotionalEwok

seeing that the chosen concept is fairly simple and in our syllabus, the most amount of points you will get is 3/6 in criterion E (this is guaranteed, automatically, unless you introduce some new concept to prove it or find another way outside our syllabus)

so you need to focus on the other criteria and write up a damn good one with a relate-able personal connection

other than that, it sounds good

It sounds very simple to be honest, a derivation of the perimeter and area only takes a couple of lines. While complex numbers might have some use, there's not point in using induction either - at least it seems simpler to attack the general case directly.

There are other things regarding complex numbers and geometry that though would probably work, but unfortunately I don't know of any specific topics. A quick google search gave me this page though (scroll down to 'problems' part), which may give you some ideas and things to look into.

It sounds very simple to be honest, a derivation of the perimeter and area only takes a couple of lines. While complex numbers might have some use, there's not point in using induction either - at least it seems simpler to attack the general case directly.

There are other things regarding complex numbers and geometry that though would probably work, but unfortunately I don't know of any specific topics. A quick google search gave me this page though (scroll down to 'problems' part), which may give you some ideas and things to look into.

The main point of my IA is drawing a conjecture and not really about calculating the perimeter and area for specific shapes (which I will also do using argand diagrams). Btw, I'm using induction to show that the conjecture is applicable for all the roots of unity. Do you think it still sounds a bit too easy?

Thanks a lot

seeing that the chosen concept is fairly simple and in our syllabus, the most amount of points you will get is 3/6 in criterion E (this is guaranteed, automatically, unless you introduce some new concept to prove it or find another way outside our syllabus)

so you need to focus on the other criteria and write up a damn good one with a relate-able personal connection

Oh so the use of maths criterion requires me to go beyond the syllabus?! I thought one HL only topic (complex numbers) and another topic (induction) would be enough  :unsure:

Oh so the use of maths criterion requires me to go beyond the syllabus?! I thought one HL only topic (complex numbers) and another topic (induction) would be enough  :unsure:

yeah bro read the guide

for sl, its enough to stay inside the syllabus

but for hl we need to go beyond and introduce a new concept 

Guest SNJERIN

yeah bro read the guide

for sl, its enough to stay inside the syllabus

but for hl we need to go beyond and introduce a new concept 

That is really not true!! I am started to think that you actually haven't read the guide kevG, so would be kind to show me where they said that you should go beyond the HL syllabus because as far as I remember IB said that the mathematics used should be commensurate with the level of the course not necessary concepts you haven't covered in the class ( although you could do that). 

And btw, my friend did his IA on modelling the shape of a bridge and he did not use anything outside of the math HL and yet got 6/6 in the last criteria.  

@Haitham

lemme rephrase what i said before, by introducing a new concept i meant showing your own plan or idea of things on how you approach your problem... you cant simply use something from the textbook and expect to get a 6/6

this is an example of an exemplar HL math ia which got 17/20 (guess where the exemplar lost its marks)

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/live-exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e&part=2&chapter=8&mode=moderator

read the comments for the last criteria from the ib moderator

also good for that guy who got a 6/6 on criterion e, but i dont really care cause its internally marked (marked by your teacher), my teacher specifically told us that he would grade us on how we show something new and approach the problem for criterion e