Advice on How to write a college essay?

I need some help on how I should write a college essay. I am an aspiring environmental engineer, but when I showed my brother my 1st draft, he said that it was way too "Descriptive" and had too much "Literary Elements", almost as if it was like an exaggerated story.

My main question is whether I have to make my essay sound like what i want to study? Like do I have to make my essay sound "engineer-ish"?  

If you want, I can give you the essay to read it. 

hey bro im just posting here cause i have a bit of confusion as well

i dont know whether you mean a personal statement or college essay cause if you're applying to the us then you have the answer a question from them which turns out to be your college essay on the common app if you're applying to the us

im still very confused about this and if anyone could clarify this with me about the difference it would mean so much

hey bro im just posting here cause i have a bit of confusion as well

i dont know whether you mean a personal statement or college essay cause if you're applying to the us then you have the answer a question from them which turns out to be your college essay on the common app if you're applying to the us

im still very confused about this and if anyone could clarify this with me about the difference it would mean so much

kevG 

I think that they are both the same thing, just expressed through different words. I am not applying to the US though, so I have to know how to.

• Like 1