The extent of limits in the core of IB Math HL question

maturk

Hello! I am currently studying Topic 6: Calculus from the core of Math HL and I ran into a bit of ambiguity in the syllabus which I don't fully understand. 

The Syllabus states that under topic 6.1. we are required to know "informal ideas of limit, continuity and convergence" and under the further guidance section it states that we should "include the result lim(x approaches infinity) sinx /x =1." 

My questions are what exactly should I know and be able to answer about limits? And have there been any questions in past HL examinations in which they ask explicitly to evaluate a certain limit other than the usual asymptotes of rational functions when you are graphing/sketching them? And has anyone actually used the result that lim(x approaches infinity) sinx/x =1 in any HL exams?

I understand that the Option Calculus probably goes much more in depth into limits, but I take Discrete Mathematics therefore my knowledge of Calculus only extends through the core. 

Sorry for all the weird questions, I'm just really curious and all haha. 

Thanks in advance. Cheers! :)

there was this prove question that showed up on our exams

it said something about proving the derivitive of sinx using the derivative limit equation

no one got it cause the concept wasnt taught it class, the teacher just expected to us to know

• Like 1