Question About Math EE

albsc

I just wrote my 7 page outline for my math extended essay on describing patterns in the movement of water waves through graphing and I sent it to my supervisor. I got a response saying that I need to derive all the equations I use. I derived all of them except the one that he was referring to which is the formula that described the velocity of surface waves on a liquid and is wayyy past my abilities to derive. Does anyone know if you can refer to complicated physics formulae without having to go into detail about how they are derived? I couldn't write in the equation so i'm attaching a screenshot of it in lol

post-154184-0-71465100-1439675158.png

It should be suffice to document all the attempts you made at deriving this final formula. Eg. Make note of the vertical stretch and lack of horizontal/vertical shifts and try your best to explain them. If unfamilarity with tanh function (tbh I took HL Math idk what that is) causing you problem then explain that. It would be a bonus if you can find an derivation later and explain exactly why you weren't able to derive it by yourself. 

I don't know what roles do these formulae play in your EE, but certainly understanding and deriving these formulae are far more important than plugging in values and getting an actual answer. And you should strategically organize your EE to emphasize this.

I think the most practical way to do this is to just take a quick rest, go do something special, for me that is making a piping hot dish of chicken tikka massala and then going back to the math. I find that the spices really work to stimulate brain power and will aid you in achieving mathematical greatness that you have never imagined before.