If I want to study Law in university, what IB subjects should I take?

wrikder1999

HI FRIENDS!

So I am about to start grade 11 very soon and I am considering pursuing law in university. However, I'm unsure of what IB subjects to take that are related to law since most of the universities only specify A-level subjects, not IB ones :(

Also as a side note: I am also very interested in pursuing business management in university but my math skills are VERY VERY weak and I'm probably taking Math Studies next year (recommended by my teacher). Will that be a problem when I'm applying to good universities for business?

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS <3

ALSO p.s. is taking two history's (American History, and Ancient Civilizations) a good idea for Grade 10? or should I stick to one history and one geography? 

Edited by warisarahman
  • Like 1

If you want to go into law, some good choices would be English Lit HL and History HL because it gives you the analytical skills you need for that field. I think Econ HL is another good choice, but Idk much about it since I'm not in Econ :P 

For business, math SL might be recommended, but check to make sure because every uni has different requirements. You can always email administration and ask about it because they will know for sure. 

Hope I helped a bit! 

• Like 2

For law, at least in the UK, it does not mater what subjects you take (I had a friend who did Maths and Physics at HL and ended up doing Law at Oxford). It is recommended that you do take one or more essay based subjects (simply because of the amount of reading and writing you have to do in Law school, as they will be a sort of a preparation for what you will have to deal with on day to day basis). However, as I said, you can do any subject you want. (I'm a law school drop-out, btw ;))

I got into Business Studies with a 5 in Maths SL, but if you're aiming at the very top Business schools, a low grade in SL/Studies, just won't be sufficient. 

Also, your pre-IB subjects are unlikely to matter for university admission in the UK. 

• Like 2

Thank you both sooooo much, I was clueless before this  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: and lol @Gaby if you don't mind me asking, how come you dropped out of law school? Is law school as hard/scary as I think it is??  :unsure:

It's best to quote me when you desire my answer, then it'll show up in my notifications. 

Law school is hard abut entirely manageable. I just realised a bit too late that it was not what I want to do with my life. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

English HL and History HL are a must. 

That's untrue. In the UK, it really doesn't matter what subjects you do, although they like to see some essay-based subject (and it can be any essay subject: English, History, Psychology, Econ etc.). In the US, Law is a postgraduate degree, so I think IB subjects will matter very little for admission. Don't know about other countries, but I have yet to hear about one that explicitly say they require English and History HL. 

• 4 weeks later...

Most UK unis have a prerequisite for HL English, and a good command over the language is crucial for lawyers so it makes sense to do English HL. Beyond that you can do anything however essay subjects (history and economics) at HL make sense and will be useful to you. If you are aiming for really competitive schools (oxbridge or equivalent) then make sure you take maths SL (not studies). 

Most UK unis have a prerequisite for HL English, and a good command over the language is crucial for lawyers so it makes sense to do English HL. Beyond that you can do anything however essay subjects (history and economics) at HL make sense and will be useful to you. If you are aiming for really competitive schools (oxbridge or equivalent) then make sure you take maths SL (not studies). 

This is not true. It might be a language pre-requisite set by a university for foreign students (e.g. a 6 in English B HL, or a 6 in English A SL instead of IELTS or similar test), but it's not an explicit requirement to do law. However, English HL is a good choice if you want to do law, and I second the fact that you have to have a firm grasp of the language to do law, but doing the IB in English should give you that anyway.