English B EE cultural artifact

Hey everyone, 

I read through the English B EE guide and I'm getting confused with category 2b. 

Can laws fall under the category of an artifact?

And am I allowed to write about  specific social issues such as the integration of Muslim women into the British society and the influence of the legalisation of an alternative dispute body like Sharia councils under the Arbitration Act 1996? 

Or is it better to look at how British media portrays British Muslim women?

Hope someone can help me! I'm so lost... I had an interesting EE topic but it didn't fit under the  English B criteria. 

Yes, laws are eminently cultural. They embody some of the most important values and beliefs and world-views of a culture. Obviously, you can't just talk about the law in general, so try to narrow things down to some recent changes in the law, for example on immigration.   The more you can focus your topic, the better.

With any EE (2b) artifact, ask yourself "What exactly is the cultural aspect represented by this artifact which I want to examine?" 

So, to take your two examples,

1)  "integration" is a good topic, only if it allows you to examine and expose your understanding of some cultural aspect. Integration, in itself, is not specifically cultural. Examining how people talk, debate or write about it can be, as it reveals attitudes, values and beliefs which may be just under the surface.

Note also that integration is not an artifact and therefore not an obvious match for 2b. On the óther hand, it wouldn't take much to change that. Find any artifact(s) which treats integration (as in a brochure or regulations... or something televised) and presto ... you have your artifact.

2) The influence of the legalization ... I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it seems you may be risking a social/legal/political analysis or end up writing up a description of events and giving your opinions. It is not clearly focused or formulated as an argument. 

Your last example, How Muslims are portrayed by British media is very suitable for this type of EE, though perhaps not very original. "Originality" will depend on how you approach the topic and what you write, and the materials you use. Again, focus and aspect will count a lot in how you succeed.  At any rate, a media topic like this invites comparison of representations of Muslims in say two different newspapers. 

Does this help at all?

Edited by Blackcurrant

Yes, laws are eminently cultural. They embody some of the most important values and beliefs and world-views of a culture. Obviously, you can't just talk about the law in general, so try to narrow things down to some recent changes in the law, for example on immigration.   The more you can focus your topic, the better.

With any idea, ask yourself "What exactly is the cultural aspect represented by this artifact which I want to examine?" 

So, to take your two examples,

1)  "integration" is a good topic, only if it allows you to examine and expose your understanding of some cultural aspect. Integration, in itself, is not specifically cultural. Examining how people talk, debate or write about it can be, as it reveals attitudes, values and beliefs which may be just under the surface.

Note also that integration is not an artifact and therefore not an obvious match for 2b. On the óther hand, it wouldn't take much to change that. Find any artifact(s) which treats integration (as in a brochure or regulations... or something televised) and presto ... you have your artifact.

2) The influence of the legalization ... I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it seems you may be risking a social/legal/political analysis or end up writing up a description of events and giving your opinions. It is not clearly focused or formulated as an argument. 

Your last example, How Muslims are portrayed by British media is very suitable for this type of EE, though perhaps not very original. "Originality" will depend on how you approach the topic and what you write, and the materials you use. Again, focus and aspect will count a lot in how you succeed.  At any rate, a media topic like this invites comparison of representations of Muslims in say two different newspapers. 

Does this help at all?

Thank you this helped a lot! :) 

• 1 year later...
On 21.08.2015 at 4:44 PM, Blackcurrant said:

end up writing up a description of events and giving your opinions

Blackcurrant I think I may have a problem with that, can you elaborate more on how I can avoid that? I'm really shy with my supervisor and now I have a draft to give 

19 hours ago, enx said:

Blackcurrant I think I may have a problem with that, can you elaborate more on how I can avoid that? I'm really shy with my supervisor and now I have a draft to give 

Hi enx,

A problem with what I said about "description" and "opinion"?

I'll see if I can make that a little clearer.

The EE is a research essay, so description and giving opinions is not really the main idea, though there is of course both of these within your EE. With research topics/essays, however, you need to present a hypothesis or argument then argue your case using detailed references to the book, work or passage. Research also implies reading up in your area of research, and though this is not absolutely required by the IB in, say, literature, it is certainly recommendable.  The ideas, arguments, opinions of others will enrich and complicate your argument.

Does that help at all? 

• Like 1