Can I handle French B SL?

Okay so I am planning on doing IB French B SL next year, 2016. I am very passionate about french as a language and I have been studying for Roughly 3-4 years. I wouldn't say I am bad at it, but i also wouldn't say i am fluent, not even the slightest. What are some requirements you should have to do French SL? How could I prepare for this?

Thanks

Okay so I am planning on doing IB French B SL next year, 2016. I am very passionate about french as a language and I have been studying for Roughly 3-4 years. I wouldn't say I am bad at it, but i also wouldn't say i am fluent, not even the slightest. What are some requirements you should have to do French SL? How could I prepare for this?

Thanks

Hey Pippa!

I am also taking french B sl, and I can assure you that if you have a good command of the french language, in both reading, writing, and speaking skills, you're basically set to earn a 7! What we basically do, is learn how to write letters, speeches, articles, etc. All you really need to prepare for this class is to know how to speak and write well. That is, learn the conjugations, pronounce particularly difficult words correctly, and the same. I also think that you should make sure that you can write french in a logical, coherent manner. Eg. If you write a speech, all the paragraphs should be able to connect, and make sense. You should also expand your vocabulary in french if it is a little too small. 

Hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh

I'm doing it too, and the best thing is to learn all the connective and linking phrases (the IB absolutely loves these!). The vocabulary isn't too bad, and if you partake in class discussions, you'll find that your French improves tenfold :) I used to be notoriously bad at the written work, but now, after having done it for a year and a half, I'm getting full marks for all my written responses.

Read and listen to anything and everything. This will help you to expand your vocabulary, and familiarize yourself will how the language is structured. Install one of those translator plugins such as lingua.ly, and read articles online. If you come across word you're not familiar with, rather than grab your dictionary, just click on the word!

• 3 months later...

French SL isn't that difficult as long as you practice your grammar and drill your vocabulary/idioms. Read more French news articles and listen to French music, or buy a few intermediate French books. For reading, always remember to write down vocabulary that you don't know and translate it, then make a flashcard set to review from.