Double Trouble

tim9800

Tomorrow, my yearly exam week starts.

My first exam is English, and I have memorised a commentary that pertains to the first part of the exam

The catch - I have to write an extended response to a second text as well

Considering I haven't made a practice response for the second part, and only detailed notes, what can I do to prepare?

Also, unlike the first part, the second question could be about context, characterisation or themes, so what do I do?

I have a couple of hours at most to get my act together

Help appreciated

Edited by tim9800

Tomorrow, my yearly exam week starts.

My first exam is English, and I have memorised a commentary that pertains to the first part of the exam

The catch - I have to write an extended response to a second text as well

Considering I haven't made a practice response for the second part, and only detailed notes, what can I do to prepare?

Also, unlike the first part, the second question could be about context, characterisation or themes, so what do I do?

I have a couple of hours at most to get my act together

Help appreciated

Hello Tim!

Firstly, you should never memorise commentaries, it won't help you in the long run. You should try to figure out the main meaning of the text, which is quite easy to do, once you have figured out the central conflict that is present in the text. There will always be a central conflict, because otherwise it would not be in the exam. Next you should try to find out how the "main" characters in the text pertain to this central conflict. From that, make your thesis, and you're good to go. 

Now, try to use the same method I outlined in the preceding paragraph for the second text. However, in this case, find out how context, characterisation, and themes add to the central meaning. You might also find it worth your time to make an outline for the essay, but not actually write it out, because that just wastes time. Try printing out more papers from online if you can to practice.

good luck!

-theswizzlerbruh 

• Like 1