IB Math Studies vs AP Calculus

The_lion_Brian

Hello, I am currently a senior at my high school and in my junior year I passed the IB Pre-Calculus with a B and I thought that I would move on to AP Calculus since that is what other IB students who took IB Pre-Calculus junior year went to.

However this year I was put into IB Math Studies and was confused. I actually wanted to do Calculus in high school so that I can understand it before moving on to college, also I thought that AP Calculus looked stronger on my resume than IB Math Studies since I am focusing on studying engineering in college.

But, as I though about it more is IB Math Studies weighted stronger than AP Calculus? Will the topics I learn in IB Math Studies make me better prepared for the Math I take in college?

I don't think so. The IB describes Math Studies as a course that is useful for those (wasn't trying to rhyme :D) who will not be using maths in their further education. Maths SL is described as a course that students who will need some maths in further education. Maths HL on the other hand is described as a course for students that will need an appreciation of maths at higher level for further education. I distinctly remember Maths HL being recommended by the IB for those who will study engineering or physics.

These are the exact sentences used in the course guides:

Maths Studies: The Mathematical Studies SL course "is designed to build confidence and encourage an appreciation of mathematics in students" who do not expect mathematics to be a major component of their university studies.

Maths SL: Mathematics SL is primarily intended for students who "expect to need a sound mathematical background as they prepare for future studies in subjects such as chemistry, economics and business,

Maths HL: Mathematics HL is primarily intended for students "with a good background in mathematics who are competent in a range of analytical and technical skills,"[11] and who anticipate that mathematics will be "a major component of their university studies, either as a subject in its own right or within courses such as physics, engineering and technology.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses,

I would like to clarify, this is the first day of school and on my schedule they put me in IB Math Studies even though I have passed IB Pre-Calculus (I think it may be known as IB Math SL?). However other students I know who have passed IB Pre-Calculus as well, moved on to Calculus. Im just confused why I was put into IB Math Studies in the first place? 

I would like to clarify, this is the first day of school and on my schedule they put me in IB Math Studies even though I have passed IB Pre-Calculus (I think it may be known as IB Math SL?). However other students I know who have passed IB Pre-Calculus as well, moved on to Calculus. Im just confused why I was put into IB Math Studies in the first place?

Just talk to your teacher or guidance counselor to figure out why, and switch if you want.

• Like 1

But IB Math SL includes quite a bit of calc, and as far as I know pre-calc doesn't. Maybe there was just a mix-up wit the system.

• Like 1