Extended Essay help!

sarahm19

Hi, I really need help on my Extended Essay. My research question is "to what extent has the theme of immigration shaped Spanish literature?" I'm writing about two authors and their two specific books that are about the immigration topic but i have no idea what else to include. Now that I've started writing my essay I realized I don't know how to completely answer my research question, so please help me!!

Hi, I really need help on my Extended Essay. My research question is "to what extent has the theme of immigration shaped Spanish literature?" I'm writing about two authors and their two specific books that are about the immigration topic but i have no idea what else to include. Now that I've started writing my essay I realized I don't know how to completely answer my research question, so please help me!!

Hello Sarah!

Like ShootingStar said, add the titles of the two books into your research question(remember to cite them too at the end of your EE).

Next, you should do some research on the two books of your choice, and find out elements that you are certain, that will help you answer your research question. Read the two books and try to find those specific details that will form the foundation of your answer. Pick out the details are strongest, and leave those that are weak.

Next, start making an outline for your essay, and include your evidence from the books in a manner that is coherent, and makes the EE smooth and concise. Coherence is the key here. Don't go off topic, because that will lose you points. Make sure that you have used a wide range of vocabulary(i'm assuming that this EE is a language one) that further solidifies your argument and makes it clear. Your conclusion should also be strong, not a mere repetition of your introductory paragraph. Since this is an EE, split your essay into sub-sections that explore a particular aspect of the two topics, and label it in the essay and the table of contents. Adding sections that explore any counterarguments to your evidence would be great. 

Above all, cite all your sources!

Hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh

Edited by theswizzlerbruh
  • Like 3

Thank you so much!! Should I replace the "to what extent" part to "How and why have *author #1* in _____ and *author #2* in ______  used the theme of immigration to shape Spanish literature?" and also, in my essay should I mention brief background information on the authors? (both authors are immigrants) 

Edited by sarahm19

Thank you so much!! Should I replace the "to what extent" part to "How and why have *author #1* in _____ and *author #2* in ______  used the theme of immigration to shape Spanish literature?" and also, in my essay should I mention brief background information on the authors? (both authors are immigrants) 

Yes, you should definetly do that! Sorry for the late response.

Hang on ..: Go back to your revised title ...

"How and why have *author #1* in _____ and *author #2* in ______  used the theme of immigration to shape Spanish literature?"

The presupposition (intended?) is that both authors "shaped Spanish literature". Did they? You didn't mention your authors, so it's hard to tell, at least from where I'm standing. 

Anyway, you can't just assume this, even if they are big names: you'll need to argue it in your EE. Hopefully you've chosen authors who actually have had profound enough impact to "shape Spanish literature." and you can argue this easily.

Then an ambiguity. It may seem like nit-picking, but then what is good English if it doesn't include using it with precision and accuracy? Besides,it's a rather important one to your claim:    When you say "Spanish lit" do you mean all lit. in Spanish? or literature emanating from Spain?  ... Better to decide which and clear up your title

So while fully agreeing with the advice given by Shooting Star and the Swizzlerbruh, I think it is worth giving your title and topic a little more thought. 

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Just so that you see this in your alerts...