Biology IA - 2 independent variables?

ibstudent77

I'm thinking of doing my IA on the effect of light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis in an aquatic plant.

I'm planning on doing 5 different light intensities and using 2 types of surroundings, one in a normal environment, and one in an environment with cigarette smoke. This makes it 2 independent variables, light intensity and condition of environment.

Am I allowed to design an experiment for my IA with 2 independent variables?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

I'm thinking of doing my IA on the effect of light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis in an aquatic plant.

I'm planning on doing 5 different light intensities and using 2 types of surroundings, one in a normal environment, and one in an environment with cigarette smoke. This makes it 2 independent variables, light intensity and condition of environment.

Hello Ibstudent77,

I think you could do that, but you should not collect too much data, because that's basically the difference between an IA and an extended essay. You could collect enough data but that might mean reducing the variables. However, if you can manage to collect your data and process it so that you can write about 2500-3000 words on it, without writing a full blown EE, I think you may be good to go. 

However, the part about cigarette smoke is kind of unnerving. I am not sure the IB would like it if you were messing around with stuff that might be injurious to your health. You could try letting off smoke from a burning piece of wood instead, because that would be less likely to give you lung cancer and it could still achieve the same affect. If not, try using incense sticks. They smell good, and can release the same smoke into the air.

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Hello Ibstudent77,

I think you could do that, but you should not collect too much data, because that's basically the difference between an IA and an extended essay. You could collect enough data but that might mean reducing the variables. However, if you can manage to collect your data and process it so that you can write about 2500-3000 words on it, without writing a full blown EE, I think you may be good to go. 

However, the part about cigarette smoke is kind of unnerving. I am not sure the IB would like it if you were messing around with stuff that might be injurious to your health. You could try letting off smoke from a burning piece of wood instead, because that would be less likely to give you lung cancer and it could still achieve the same affect. If not, try using incense sticks. They smell good, and can release the same smoke into the air.

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thanks for the reply, so my RQ would look something like "How does light intensity affect the rate of photosynthesis as measured by number of bubbles produced by *name of aquatic plant* in a conducive environment over a duration of one minute, and how does this compare to the rate of photosynthesis in a polluted environment?"

Thoughts?

Hello Ibstudent77,

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thanks for the reply, so my RQ would look something like "How does light intensity affect the rate of photosynthesis as measured by number of bubbles produced by *name of aquatic plant* in a conducive environment over a duration of one minute, and how does this compare to the rate of photosynthesis in a polluted environment?"

Thoughts?

The rq is alright. It sounds a little too long though, maybe shorten it a little? Otherwise, it's all good!

Hello Ibstudent77,

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thoughts?

The rq is alright. It sounds a little too long though, maybe shorten it a little? Otherwise, it's all good!

Wait sorry, you don't take bio? How could you possibly know if 2 independent variables are allowed? :o

Hello Ibstudent77,

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thoughts?

Wait sorry, you don't take bio? How could you possibly know if 2 independent variables are allowed? :o

Haha biology is still a science. The rules apply in Bio, chemistry, and physics more or less the same. I also know enough biology to know about what you want to do, and IB rules and regulations apply for all of the subjects. 

• Like 1

Hello Ibstudent77,

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thoughts?

Haha biology is still a science. The rules apply in Bio, chemistry, and physics more or less the same. I also know enough biology to know about what you want to do, and IB rules and regulations apply for all of the subjects. 

Alrighty then, thank you! :)

Hello Ibstudent77,

hope this helps,

-theswizzlerbruh 

Thoughts?

Alrighty then, thank you! :)

Anytime:D