English B Research Question

Cel1007

Hi everyone,

Quick question: For my extended essay Cat. 3, I want to compare how sadness is depicted in two separate books. More specifically, a book depicts a very romantic image of sadness and the other one is more pragmatic and based on tangible features.

My research question would be: How is sadness depicted in Book A and Book B?

Would this be an appropriate RQ?

Hi,

Quick answer: No.

That would be an appropriate approach (or topic) for P1 and P2. Not for an EE.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly. Isn't an EE Cat 3 supposed to be a literary analysis on a certain feature in a book? That's technically my approach.

Also, isn't P1 just reading comprehension tasks? No research skills or approach needed or being assessed there. And in P2 they already give me the topic that I need to develop in a certain text type form.

I'd really appreciate if you could elaborate. My supervisor is new at this and is currently not that much help. :/

Thank you!

Here you go. . 

"Students should ensure that their topic: 

• is worthy of investigation. For example, “Does tourism have a future in Switzerland?” or “Is the wine industry an important source of income for France?” would be too trivial for an essay of 4,000 words. 

• is not too broad and allows for an effective treatment within the word limit. Topics such as “Racism in France”, “The theatre of the absurd”, or “A history of the French language” would need to be given a sharper focus. 

• provides them with an opportunity to develop an argument and to demonstrate critical analysis and personal judgment rather than just knowledge. Topics that are merely descriptive or narrative, or that only summarize secondary sources (such as “French cheeses”, “The Provence region”, “The events of May 1968 in Paris”), should be avoided."

I was thinking P1 and P2 in English A -- sorry, my mistake! :rolleyes:     Anyway, the above is pertinent to English B, no mistake there. :P

Edited by Blackcurrant