Topic too easy

danielwuhoo

After thinking for hours on what topic I should choose for my IA, I finally came across "finding the surface area and volume of a torus." This topic is actually very interesting to me, as it involves combining different methods of integration. After doing the work, however, I felt that it may have been a little too easy and it may be an SL level topic. I have thought of also adding in a section where I try to maximize volume based on surface area constraints and vice versa, but I don't know if it is too far off the original purpose. Can anybody help me decide whether it is possible to so this solely on SA and volume, or would it be better to add the optimization, or yet could someone perhaps give me insight on other similar topics? Help is appreciated! Thanks!

I think if you can pull off the optimization definitely go for it! You can always tweak your RQ to suit what you are solving for. Be mindful of how IB wants to you examine multiple discipline of mathematics (such as calculus and 3_D geometry) so try your best to make the connections clear. Add some vector stuff if it helps your solution. 

After thinking for hours on what topic I should choose for my IA, I finally came across "finding the surface area and volume of a torus." This topic is actually very interesting to me, as it involves combining different methods of integration. After doing the work, however, I felt that it may have been a little too easy and it may be an SL level topic. I have thought of also adding in a section where I try to maximize volume based on surface area constraints and vice versa, but I don't know if it is too far off the original purpose. Can anybody help me decide whether it is possible to so this solely on SA and volume, or would it be better to add the optimization, or yet could someone perhaps give me insight on other similar topics? Help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Daniel!

I completely agree with kiwi, if you can shape your investigation around your research question while still sticking to the criteria, you need not worry. Don't prevent yourself from adding a bit of complexity to your IA, especially if you're in math HL and need those 6 points in criterion E. You can do this as long as you explain how you do it with clarity, so that your examiner is not completely bamboozled. If you get any ideas from somewhere else, try and make it your own but cite it properly. Otherwise, you're good to go!

cheers,

-theswizzlerbruh 

• Like 1