Is it worth taking English A lang and lit HL if u want to study econ?

Vytautas

Hi,

In a few days I will have to tell my coordinator the subjects I have chosen, but I have a problem.
I would like to study economics in England and I don't know if English A HL (lang ant lit) is worth taking. I like reading, but I don't know if I could get a 7 in that course. In English B HL I could squeeze a 7. Do unis look at wether you have chosen English A HL or English B HL?

P.S.

I was thinking about getting

English A lang and lit HL

Economics HL

Math HL

French B SL

CS SL

Lithuanian (mothers tongue) SL

P.S.S

Could i get a bilingular (or how is it called) diploma with English B HL?

Would really love the help:)

Edited by Vytautas

• 2 weeks later...

If the choice is between English A Lang and Lit and English B for Economics I would suggest English A if you want to be a more competitive candidate for the UK. Yes universities do look at what you have chosen and since Economics includes a lot of essay writing they expect you to have a high level of English. If however you are not aiming at really competitive universities then you can take English B. English A Lang and Lit at HL is not easy but if you are familiar with how to write essays on literature, then the language component is not that hard and you shall be fine. It all depends on what your plans are. If you think you are going to do really bad in English A then definitely take English B. Also, I think to get a bilingual diploma you need to have two language As so I don't think you can with English B.

If the choice is between English A Lang and Lit and English B for Economics I would suggest English A if you want to be a more competitive candidate for the UK. Yes universities do look at what you have chosen and since Economics includes a lot of essay writing they expect you to have a high level of English. If however you are not aiming at really competitive universities then you can take English B. English A Lang and Lit at HL is not easy but if you are familiar with how to write essays on literature, then the language component is not that hard and you shall be fine. It all depends on what your plans are. If you think you are going to do really bad in English A then definitely take English B. Also, I think to get a bilingual diploma you need to have two language As so I don't think you can with English B.

You do not need two languages A to get a bilingual diploma. You need either 2 A languages or to do the IB subject in a language other than your lang A (e.g. my lang A was Polish, I did the rest of the subjects in English, bam, I got a bilingual diploma). 

You also do not need English A HL for Economics. If you think you can do well in it, go for it. Or maybe take it as SL and make one of your SLs a HL ? English B HL will be fine even for the most top of the top universities if you're not a native speaker. I got into Oxford to do Law (hard to think of a more essay based subject beside maybe English Lit) with a 7 in English B HL. 

• Like 1