French Ab Initio PANIC

Hey I'm new here and my French exam is coming up in May but I am completely unprepared. My teacher has not done anything to prepare me, she gives me little pieces of information with absolutely no structure. I'm starting to panic because I know that at this point, I won't even make a 1 on my exam... Can anyone help me with tips on how to make just a 4? Thank you (:

Have you looked through Quizlet? It's a total lifesaver if you're trying to learn vocab and grammar - same with Language Perfect. If it's your comprehension you're struggling with, the main advice I can give you is to keep practicing the IB-style questions for Paper 1. Grab yourself a past Paper 1, and read through the texts with a dictionary. Look up any words you don't know, write down the translation next to the words in the text, learn the translation. Find yourself articles in French about your favourite things (e.g. I've taken to reading French articles about the latest research in physics), and translate any words you don't know - this will help expand your vocab. As for Paper 2 - aim to write a 100-250 word piece every week, and try to extend yourself with the grammatical aspects. Try a subjunctive (il faut que je sois..) or a conditional etc. Most importantly, get your work marked by someone, preferably by your teacher. This will help you to see where you went wrong, any things you need to improve on, and it puts what you've learnt into the context of what you want to write. If your teacher isn't willing to look over your work, I'm always happy to help, as I am on a 7 for French B SL. However it'll have to be after November ;)

• Like 3

If your teacher isn't helping I suggest you check out online self-study programs like the person above me said. I've used Duolingo and it's pretty good. Besides that, I think that learning a language is more about learning how to use it rather than studying it, if you know what I mean, so maybe try reading in French or watching movies in French and looking up words that you don't understand. Just try to find ways of incorporating the language to your daily life. Then of course look for past papers and try to find someone with whom to practice for your individual oral as well. Good luck  ^_^

Edited by catalina

Use Duolingo to build a good vocab list and try to understand basic grammar in French. That is, learn the verb conjugations of very essential verbs (to be, to have, to eat, to speak) and understand how French sentences work. Also, probably buy a workbook for yourself and make lots and lots of notes. Always have a dictionary near and check the meaning of words you don't know. Most importantly, believe in yourself and work hard!! Best of Luck