ToK essay titles 2016

inshm2016

In case you guys didn't know,, following are the six essay titles for 2016:

1. “In gaining knowledge, each area of knowledge uses a network of ways of knowing.†Discuss this statement with reference to two areas of Knowledge.
  2. “Knowledge within a discipline develops according to the principles of natural selection.†How useful is this metaphor?
  3. “The knower’s perspective is essential in the pursuit of knowledge.†To what extent do you agree?
  4. “Without application in the world, the value of knowledge is greatly diminished.†Consider this claim with respect to two areas of knowledge.
  5. To what extent do the concepts that we use shape the conclusions that we reach?
  6. “In knowledge there is always a trade-off between accuracy and simplicity.†Evaluate this statement in relation to two areas of knowledge.

I thought that number 1 seems interesting, but I am still a bit confused. Could anyone enlighten me and explain what they mean by ''a network of ways of knowing''? For example, if I choose the natural sciences as one of my areas of knowledge, could I then write how eg one discovery was made?

Edited by inshm2016
  • Like 3

ToK Titles just keep on getting more complicated as they run out of ideas...

Number 2 is the most interesting to me, by far.

As for helping you understand number 1, I think that's kind of the point of the ToK essay. You need to define it for yourself and figure out what you think they mean. Good luck!

Hi all I was wondering, what is the official website where these titles are posted, for May 2016. 

Thanks 

I'm under the impression that the TOK titles haven't officially been released yet - my TOK teacher said that they'd be released on the tenth.

No, they have been released officially by the IB. Take a look at this file: TOK titles.pdf

• Like 2

Hi all I was wondering, what is the official website where these titles are posted, for May 2016. 

Thanks 

I'm under the impression that the TOK titles haven't officially been released yet - my TOK teacher said that they'd be released on the tenth.

No, they have been released officially by the IB. Take a look at this file: attachicon.gifTOK titles.pdf

Oops sorry about that ^~^ - went on the IBO website and couldn't find them :/ thanks for the correction though

4 seems pretty interesting (Y)

What do u think which areas of knowledge to take for the fourth one? do u think we should consider both sides for this topic, I mean on one side taking an example where the unapplication makes it dimished and on the other an example where the knowledge even though it has no application is still important?

Whats your opinon on that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My thoughts on May 2016 PTs are here.

Hi, I'm new on the forum.Thank you for useful links. Especially for Steven's blog. I had no time to start earlier pondering over ToK 2016 prescribed topics. Finally I thought that the 1st one is simple, but I stucked. I think I need to switch to antoher one (in spite of explanations it seems to be vague, too open...). Could you recomand me another one please. Which one are in your opinion are the most concrete?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found web on weebly with explanation of the topic no1 that seems useful. Can anybody confirm that I'm right? These are knowledge question I found with the story wrtitten for the topic:

1. Are all WoKs really necessary in all cases, in all AoKs?

2. Are there some likes and dislikes between different WoKs? When does it happen that one way of knowing inhibit or hint another way oh knowing? Do language and reasoninig always cooperate? Do reason and emotion exclude one another? etc. Are there some pairs or trios of ways of knowing that we can't ever mix?

3. How to recognize what ways of knowing are peculiary usefull in particular case?

4. Are there chief ways of knowing within different disciplines, within different problems?

5. Does one can decide freely what way of knowing is the most importan in the network?

6. Are there cases when in gaining knowldge we use one specific way of knowing exclusively?

7, Are there cases when in gaining knowledge we need to get rid of one particular way of knowing?

8. What does ' a network' mean? That many WoKs are being used in the same time or that a lot of them are used to acomplish the task regrdless of order and sequence?

9.  What is a key to decide what ways of knowing are important in particular case? A knower, the object studied, the purpose we want to achieve, methods necessary to dicover the truth?

10. What we would gain or what we would lose if we lost one way of knowing for ever?

11. Are ther ways of knowing that we haven't used by that time?

12. What different kinds of "animals" would we catch if the net that we use was made out of different ways of knowing?

13. Does humankind as a species prefer to use other combination of WoKs to gain or gather knowledge that we use as individuals?

Do the make sense?